"Mt. Gulugod Baboy" Batangas by KenttMali

LLA: 13°42'55"N; 120°53'43"E; 525 MASL
Days required / Hours to summit: Half-day / 1-2 hours
Specs: Minor climb, Difficulty 2/9, Trail class 1-2
Features: Scenic views of Batangas Bay and Balayan Bay

Located in Anilao, Mabini, Batangas, Mt. Gulugod-Baboy stands 525 meters above sea level. It takes about two hours to reach its summit so a day hike is possible but camping overnight is much better for cool breeze of air and foggy morning experience.

Gulugod-Baboy is the general term that describes the hills that traverse Calumpan Peninsula in Mabini, Batangas. Located in Southern Batangas, the peninsula is more known for the diving resorts of Anilao – the birthplace of Philippine scuba diving. Since dive enthusiasts are also enthusiasts for anything ‘outdoor’, they began exploring the hills, and soon, Gulugod Baboy became a hiking destination on its right, although today it remains a popular sidetrip to a diving escapade to Anilao, or to the nearby Sombrero or Maricaban islands.

There is confusion regarding where the real “Gulugod-Baboy” is. From SE to NW (from Brgy. San Teodoro to Brgy. Laurel), there are three peaks in the range. The first is 470 MASL, the second is 485 MASL, and the third is 525 MASL. This third has a large, ancient tree as its landmark, and is known to mountaineers as the real Gulugod Baboy. However, locals say that this third peak is actually Mt. Pinagbanderahan, and the first peak is the Gulugod Baboy.

MT. GULUGOD-BABOY 2013

Gulugod-Baboy is a playground for adventure: you can refer to the map and ascend/descend to any point in the peninsula using the compass. Most directions have trails; indeed there are many trails in the mountain which is both an advantage and a disadvantage. At its peaks, you can see, from east to west: Janao Bay, Maricaban strait which bears Sombrero and Maricaban islands, a distant, faint blue Mindoro, Verde Island (SW) and Batangas Bay. The city and port of Batangas is visible on the east, and behind and beside them, the mountains of Lobo, the nearest one being Mt. Pinamucan (E). To the northeast is Mt. Maculot, and even Mt. Batulao and the Tagaytay highlands (NW).

March 2013 - a busy month so far. All weekends were booked for travels and simple bonding plans with friends. The first week I went to White Beach, Puerto Galera in Mindoro for an early summer getaway. Then by second week I attended an Expo in World Trade Center with my good friends from Cagayan. Third weekend, i spent time with my mama in Quezon City. On the fourth weekend, I just stayed at home and did some gardening, clean the house and did my laundry since I was on my long leave from work. Then finally on the last week we decided to go somewhere to pamper and relax and do something extraordinary.

The original plan for the climb was Mt. Maculot. But since Javes (my colleague and the person who introduced me this kind of adventure) is planning for another climb by April with our other colleague "Joan", we opted to find another mountain nearby. Then we have decided to climb Mt. Gulugod Baboy.

We're just three in the group, Me, Javes and Kuya Manuel. After our work on a night shift, me and Kuya Manuel took a sleep for around 4 hours while Javes was still busy to finish his emails. (haha).

We left around 11:30, since we dropped by in Ortigas to buy the cook set and some other supplies that we need on our overnight climb.

We arrived at Philpan Beach Resort at around 2:00 PM already. This is the jump-off point of the base of Mt. Gulugod Baboy. The day was scorching hot. We are all hungry as we only took a light breakfast before leaving from work. We took our lunch in a small carenderia just nearby the jump off. We ordered bopis and pork sinigang and lot of rice to gain some energy before to start our climb.

THE ADVENTURE

We started our climb around 3:30 PM. Though i slept for almost five hours(including around 1 hour while on bus), my body seems like to be not in the condition and I felt like not in the mood. After just 10 minutes walking, I already feel tired and wanted to sit and relax.

It was around 30 minutes when we reached our first stop. It was a bamboo bench under a Mango Tree facing on a nice ocean view. We just rest for a while and keep push ourselves as we need to be in the summit before night.

Just few meters away was the entrance trail of Mt. Gulugod Baboy. You can easily notice it because of the board visible to everyone. "This Way to Mt. Gulogod Baboy". As usual, picture taking first before ascending.

Then we started immediately walking the real trail. The trail was just a simple and visible, but you have to be extra careful as it is kinda steep. It was really..really HOT. Though some parts of the trail were covered with the trees but some were totally open, so sun block is really needed.

One thing, our loads are kinda heavy. Javes carried the biggest and heaviest bag, so to be fair and keep on moving, we decided to exchange our loads from time to time.

While treading up, my mood slowly changed from anxious to excited after seeing beach views and cliffs along the way. Then I even got more excited when we were getting close on the summit. The view's getting nicer, so as the horizon of the West Philippine Sea growing wider. We're slowly getting a bird's eye view of Anilao, Batangas.

Then finally, about quarter to six, we arrived the summit. Good thing we still witnessed the sunset silhouette. I took some photos, as I've took some photos, as I've promised to my friend (Kar Regro) to show her my capture of sunrise and sunset.

Then we moved up to find some place where we can set up our tent. Good thing there were only few mountaineers where there as mostly did their climbs on the holy week itself. Then we found a clean and flat space near the summit.

Since it's getting darker, we set up our tent and prepared our dinner. Javes cooked the rice and I cooked "Tinolang Manok". It was a good dinner, having something warm on a cold summit.

After our dinner, we climbed into the summit to take a glimpse on the moon above. Then we started our "INUMAN SESSION" with Mojito Tequila and Lemon. Around 9 pm we decided to sleep as the air breeze starting to cool.

We woke up around 6:30 A.M. Late for the sunrise, but still we went up to witness the birds eye view on both corners of the mountain.

After noodle breakfast, and packing our things, we started our trekking down by 8:00 A.M and arrived on the base by 10:30.

It was a great weekend!!! And it's my fourth climb so far, and counting...

• Pros:challenging, nice view, cold temperature
  • Cons:steep,
  • In a nutshell:It's more than a getaway, It's adventure.
  • Last visit to Batangas: Mar 2013
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2013

Travelogues (1)

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2013 at 5:41 AM

Exciting treks, i've hiked up a few volcanoes and mountains myself, longest trek was two months with a 3 day break in the middle

• KenttMali's Profile Photo
      Aug 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

wow..that was too long.. I just did overnight hikes, nothing longer than that...Hmmm I'm thinking if I can survive that 3 months hike.. wew

• Apr 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Correction: It wasn't until past 11 in the evening before we called it a day. If it weren't for the slight rain, we would have continued our "socials" and drowned ourselves more with the tequila. LOL. I'll write my take on our climb on Sunday. Let's keep on climbing buddy! :D

• KenttMali's Profile Photo
      Apr 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM

hahaha.. might be drunk not to notice the time..I still have the tequila at home.. LOL

• heydelin's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Looks like a fun climb! Thanks for sharing!

• Rastarigo's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

looks like an easy leisurely climb!

KenttMali

“"My favorite thing is to go where I've never been"”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Batangas

Have you been to Batangas?

Latest Activity in Batangas