"MY TRAVELS" eMGeographer's Profile

Now it is time to share my experiences...

During last few years a traveled really much (in my opinion ;). I think now it is time to share my experiences with other travelers. You will find some information about Europe, Asia and South America on my Travel Pages.

I decided to put more info about the Carpathian countries like Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine and Romania on a blog (http://geographers-eye.blogspot.com).

Enjoy!

the way I travel

There is no one idea for my travels ;)

I try to do one big journey a year. Usually it lasts 3 - 10 weeks and the destination is anywhere else but Europe. The European countries I visit several times a year making shorter trips. At least once a week I try to find a new place to visit in my neighbourhood (Southern Poland and Northern Slovakia) or just cycle or hike in some of my favourites.

Before visiting a new place I try to read about it as much as I can (sometimes I don't have enough time). But generally I don't create a firm schedule of my journey - it doesn't work, only stresses ;)

During a journey first of all I want to meet local people! One way to do that is Couch Surfing. Another one is just to be open and communicative - people appreciate it and turn to be very helpful. It works mainly in a places yet not spoiled by a mass tourism. E.g. in Tajikistan me and my friends were invited for a wedding - unforgetable experience;)

What favors meeting people is hitch-hiking (I love it!) or traveling with a public transport, especially using the cheapest one. Sometimes it's a real adventure and may not be the safest idea, E.g. in South America. But I never regreted it ;)

Sometimes I visit places with a local guide - it is a great chance to learn some interesting things.

I try to put together sightseeing and hiking during my journeys, but it's not a rule.

One of my favourites is sleeping in a tent, doesn't matter if it is summer or winter ;) But of course I also use other forms of accomodation like hostels, private lodgings or hotels. It depends on a country, a type of place I'm visiting
and whom am I traveling with.

Most of the time I travel in small group of friends 2-5 people. Sometimes I make exeptions and travel alone or organise a trip for a bigger group.

There is one main rule that concerns all my travels - I don't like lying in one place and doing 'nothing' ;)

• Intro Updated Jun 13, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
eMGeographer's Profile Photo

eMGeographer

“Geographer is never lost - geographer explores :)”

Real Name