"Japan's oldest castle and a city of clocks!" Top 5 Page for this destination Matsumoto by worldkiwi
Matsumoto Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 294 photos
Matsumoto is a small provincial city surrounded by mountains, which, in spring, are covered with snow. The city's most well-known sight is the more than 400 years old Matsumoto castle. The castle is extremely photogenic in spring when its moat is framed by sakura, snowy mountains, and blue sky.
Beyond the castle is a city where clocks seem to be a major theme. The Matsumoto Timepiece Museum is the central focus of this theme, but the charming Karakuri clock is another feature worth stopping by at. Nakamachi Street and Nawate Street are two roads worth exploring as well.
In 2006, I stayed two nights at the Asama HI hostel, in the suburb of Asama, northeast of the city centre. If you book in advance, you might get a ryokan (traditional inn/lodging house) closer to the city.
The tourist information office is just outside the east entrance to JR Matsumoto station. You can get excellent English maps there that will help you greatly while you are in the city. The bus station is just opposite here (ask the tourist information office lady to point it out as it's hard to see).
- Pros:Quiet city with a stunning castle and clear mountain air!
- Cons:Can be very cold and HI hostel is a wee way out of town.
- In a nutshell:Worth at least a day of your time in Japan.
The Mangetsu-ya restaurant in the suburb of Asama is well situated for backpackers staying at the Asasma HI hostel. It... more travel advice
Nakamachi Street has some well restored traditonal shop houses and architecture. The area is probably a bit overhyped as... more travel advice
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Matsumoto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few hours in Matsumoto"
- "Matsumoto as the hub of central Japan"
- "Japan's oldest castle and a city of clocks!"
- "I love this city!"
- "One of the best castles in Japan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Matsumoto
- Hotels in Matsumoto
- Transportation in Matsumoto
- Nightlife in Matsumoto
- Restaurants in Matsumoto
- Warnings and Dangers in Matsumoto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Matsumoto
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Matsumoto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matsumoto
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: More problems with the travel..."
- updated a Matsumoto Travel Page "Japan's oldest castle and a city of clocks!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Japan's oldest castle and a city of clocks!"
- Wrote a Review How to get to Matsumoto. in Matsumoto Transportation
- Commented on one of RoseAmano's Matsumoto travel pages
Photos in MatsumotoSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos