"A South Pacific paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands by worldkiwi
Cook Islands Travel Guide: 448 reviews and 951 photos
Between 23 September and 05 October 2005, I was lucky enough to spend two weeks in the Cook Islands, a small semi-independent island country scattered across a vast space of the South Pacific - almost 2 million square kilometres! In April, 2011, taking advantage of some expiring airpoints, I took a short 'blob-out' break on Rarotonga with a close family friend. We stayed, this time, on the eastern side of the island, on the edge of the picturesque, turquoise Muri lagoon. In 2015, with three friends, I returned to Rarotonga for 12 days of R&R, staying at Muri Beach, but discovering a few previously unvisited spots around the island.
A four hour flight from Auckland will land you on Rarotonga - the country's main island. The capital, Avarua, is located on the north coast of Rarotonga.
In 2005, a group of 7 of us rented two beachfront houses for a week on Rarotonga's west coast. In the second week, three of the group returned home and the four remaining flew north to the spectacular island of Aitutaki. Aitutaki is famous for its beautiful and stunning lagoon that stretches for kilometres. This picture shows a small slice of the paradise that can be found in Aitutaki, Cook Islands.
The Cook Islands make a great destination to get away from the hustle and bustle of life. It's a place to totally relax. Don't go there planning to do much more than laze on a beach, swim in crystal clear waters, or read a book in the shade of a tree. Thankfully, most of the country seems untouched by mass tourism, so you won't be surrounded by swarms of yapping tourists. You will meet some of the most friendly people in the South Pacific, so learn the local greeting - Kiaorana, and enjoy a little slice of paradise!
Spend some time on Rarotonga, the main island. While you're there, make sure you visit the Punanga Nui market on a Saturday morning, browse the shops in Avarua, swim or kayak in/on Muri Lagoon, catch the public bus around the island, maybe walk the cross island track, walk along the beautiful beach that stretches the entire south coast, watch the sunset and maybe some humpback whales from the west coast.
Spend some time on Aitutaki, a stunning jewel in the South Pacific. While you're there spend as much time as possible on or in the beautiful lagoon. Take a lagoon cruise with Bishop's Cruises, hire kayaks from Ranginui's Retreat or the Samade Bar on O'otu beach and paddle out into the lagoon to explore the islands, have lunch on One Foot Island, visit the historic old CICC church in Arutanga, snorkel in the lagoon, enjoy a fish steak at just about any restaurant!
The prices I've given in these pages on the Cook Islands are all in New Zealand dollars, unless otherwise stated.
Catch a Rarotongan sunset on the west coast!
- Pros:A peaceful, relaxing, tropical get-away in the South Pacific.
- Cons:One's brain tends to shut down when holidaying here!
- In a nutshell:A pretty South Pacific paradise.
Operating out of a converted shipping container, with open air patio dining beside Avana harbour at Ngatangiia, just... more travel advice
Papa'aroa Beach, on the south coast of Rarotonga is a superb spot to blob out on a beautiful beach with nice swimmable... more travel advice
- See All Peace and quiet near to Muri.
- See All Muri pics - 2011
- See All Aitutaki's main shopping centre.
- See All Getting to the Cook Islands.
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Cook Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cook Island Soujourn"
- "Cook Islands"
- "A South Pacific paradise"
- "Rarotonga & Aitutaki"
- "THE COOK ISLANDS - PACIFIC DREAMS REALIZED"
- "Rarotonga - Paradise on Earth"
- "Cook Islands means Paradise on Earth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cook Islands
- Hotels in Cook Islands
- Transportation in Cook Islands
- Nightlife in Cook Islands
- Restaurants in Cook Islands
- Shopping in Cook Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Cook Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cook Islands
- 42 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Cook Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cook Islands
- Wrote a Review Unbeatable seafood near Muri. in Cook Islands Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Blob out on the south coast of Rarotonga."
- updated a Cook Islands Travel Page "A South Pacific paradise"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: More problems with the travel..."
- Commented on one of catalysta's Cook Islands travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 42 reviews, 54 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos