"East Cape Road Trip - Spring 2009" East Cape by worldkiwi
East Cape Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 136 photos
At the beginning of October, 2009 I made a short road trip to East Cape. This was my first visit to the area and on the way, I also visited the Bay of Plenty town of Whakatane for the first time. The main drive behind this short road trip from Auckland was the fact that I was keen to do some travelling in a quiet year (no overseas trips in 2009 for me) and also to hopefully get some "play-time" with my new camera. The trip was to focus on the drive from Opotiki to East Cape on State Highway 35. Despite some typically dodgy spring weather, at the crucial photo-stops the sun came out and the sky dressed up magnificently!
This is one place you can only really explore if you have your own transport. When you look at the road map for this area, you will see that SH35 seems to pass through a number of small towns on the western side of the cape. These towns are often little more than names on the map! A few, like Te Kaha and Whanarua Bay have places to stay and buy food. Te Kaha had petrol. The most important thing is that you have a full tank of petrol when you leave Opotiki. Cell phone coverage is patchy once you pass Waihau Bay and don't expect to find much in the way of shops!
The road itself is a good one, but in places the 100km/h speed limit is one only a suicidal maniac would try to attain! The best thing is to take your time and enjoy the magnificent coastal scenery and the glimpses of the rugged, forest clad, unpopulated interior of Eastland.
Sadly, there is often little shoulder on the road in which to pull over for photo ops.
You should also be aware that the locals and their livestock can be walking along the road around the next corner.
One really nice thing about driving SH35 is that the locals wave to you - amazing in the 21st century! So, make sure you smile and wave back.
- Pros:Deserted roads, dramatic scenery, firendly locals.
- Cons:Watch out for landslips and stray farm animals.
- In a nutshell:A real rural "off the beaten trail" place!
Whitianga Bay is a nice place to stop to take some pictures. The coast here is rocky with big waves, so it is not... more travel advice
This picture was taken on the narrow road from Te Araroa to East Cape itself. Sure enough, a few hundred meters on,... more travel advice
worldkiwi's Related Pages
East Cape Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic Highway 35"
- "Where the First Sunlight Meets the Earth"
- "The Cape"
- "East Cape Road Trip - Spring 2009"
- "East Cape"
- "East Cape Lighthouse"
- "UNDER CONSTRUCTION - PLEASE POP BACK LATER."
- See All...
- Things to Do in East Cape
- Hotels in East Cape
- Transportation in East Cape
- Nightlife in East Cape
- Restaurants in East Cape
- Shopping in East Cape
- Warnings and Dangers in East Cape
- See All...
Badges & Stats in East Cape
- 10 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to East Cape?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in East Cape
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 44 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Bali Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue