Oregon Hotel Tips by worldkiwi
Oregon Hotels: 62 reviews and 77 photos
Newport City Center Motel, Newport, Oregon.
Located on highway 101, the Newport City Center Motel is an affordable accommodation option in town. It is a short downhill walk to the historic bayfront area and Nye Beach (in the opposite direction).
I stayed here for one night on my all too brief roadtrip down the Oregon Coast.
Unique Qualities: The motel room I had was clean and comfortable. Unlike motels in New Zealand, American motels do not have cooking facilities and are basically like 'cheap' hotels, with just a room and a bathroom.
Address: 538 SW Coast Highway, Newport, OR 97365
Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: (541)265 7381
HI Hawthorne, Portland OR.
The Hostelling International Portland-Hawthorne hostel is a small but atmospheric hostel to the west of the city centre in the Hawthorne district. The hostel only has about 33 beds, so it pays to book in advance. The old wooden house has a cosy common area downstairs. There are free bagels every morning in the kitchen. Of course, there are full kitchen facilites if you're catering for yourself. In the summer, the capacity of the hostel is expanded through the option to camp outside. Campers have access to showers and toilets on the ground level.
The dorms seem to be mixed, which I found a little bit odd for North America, but then Portland prides itself on a liberal way of approaching life!
It was interesting to read, while I was in the US, that HI was worried that its hostels in that country had no soul (the article constantly referred to European and Australian HI hostels and other private chains). This puzzled me. I don't remember many European hostels being much more than places to sleep and some were even a bit regimental. Portland's hostel didn't seem to have anything to worry about. The great verandah out the front and the 'green' roof with plants and grass growing on it, were evidence enough that this hostel sure has soul!
Unique Qualities: My only gripe about this place would be the dingy bathroom upstairs. On the postive side, the verandah out the front was a superb place to catch up on the travel journal and chat with other travellers.
On the Wednesday night I was there, the hostel hosted singers and comedians and anyone else with a talent. One guy played the bagpipes! Beautifully, too, I might add.
Address: 3031 South East Hawthorne Blvd
Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: (503) 236-3380
More Reviews (29)
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Oregon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oregon is Home"
- "Oregon, the most beautiful state"
- "Oregon: A Treasure Often Overlooked"
- "Famous for Rain, but That's Only Part of the Story"
- "Welcome to Oregon State"
- "Oregon: End of the Frontier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oregon
- Hotels in Oregon
- Transportation in Oregon
- Nightlife in Oregon
- Restaurants in Oregon
- Shopping in Oregon
- Warnings and Dangers in Oregon
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hotel Vil-la Romana
- Royal Haciendas Resort
- Hotel Richmond
- Ramee Guestline Hotel Apartments I
- Indra Regent Hotel - Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Celebration World Resort
- Hotel Equatorial Melaka
- Lopesan Baobab Resort
- Pestana Dom Joao II
- Kalipayan Beach Resort
- El Cielito Inn Hotel
- Las Palmas Inn
- Westin St. John Resort & Villas
- Daytona Seabreeze
Badges & Stats in Oregon
- 31 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Oregon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oregon
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Why doesn't the map work yet?"
- updated a Oregon Travel Page "Roadtripping down the Oregon Coast."
- Wrote a Review Waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge. in Oregon Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge."
- Commented on one of ZanieOR's Oregon travel pages
Read real reviews about Oregon Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 44 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Bali Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (36)
Top Oregon hotels
- Portland Hotels
- 1402 Reviews - 2738 Photos
- Lincoln City Hotels
- 51 Reviews - 130 Photos
- Cannon Beach Hotels
- 87 Reviews - 237 Photos
- Seaside Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 153 Photos
- Ashland Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 181 Photos
- Klamath Falls Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 46 Photos
- McMinnville Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Eugene Hotels
- 208 Reviews - 272 Photos
- Mount Hood Hotels
- 86 Reviews - 182 Photos
- Bend Hotels
- 76 Reviews - 125 Photos
- Salem Hotels
- 95 Reviews - 287 Photos
- Wilsonville Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 108 Reviews - 513 Photos
- Gleneden Beach Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Hood River Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 129 Photos