"Roadtripping down the Oregon Coast." Oregon by worldkiwi

Oregon Travel Guide: 5,204 reviews and 13,361 photos

Oregon's very name conjours images of rugged wilderness and romantic notions of exploration. The traveller in this scenic state can actually still experience the joie de vivre that comes when discovering a gem-like place far from the maddening crowds. I was enchanted by Oregon - the coastal beauty and the warm, friendly people. When I suddenly saw the 'welcome to California' road side sign startlingly sooner than I expected one sunny afternoon driving south, I both regretted the direction I was going and thanked my lucky stars I had even a small glimpse of this wonderful state. I hope one day to return, but for now I have a calendar, a beautiful book of stunning photographs from all over the state and my memories of an all too short journey down the Oregon coast.

My journey through Oregon.

My journey through Oregon took me from Portland in the north, southwards towards California down the scenic Pacific coast. Based in Portland for two nights, I made a day trip out along the Historic Columbia River Highway to Hood River. Despite the awful weather on that day, I had a very memorable drive and saw some great landscapes. From Portland, I headed southwest to the Oregon Coast, stopping to indulge my passion for aviation at the brilliant Evergreen Aviation Museum in McVinnville before driving on to the charming town of Newport. The next day, I headed south to sleepy little Bandon, stopping at the scenic Cape Perpetua State Park. After that, it was on to northern California: just three days in total on this beautiful stretch of coastline. Blessed with beautiful sunny weather, I packed my days full and in the following pages I hope you get a favourable impression of this surprisingly untouched corner of the United States.

A route of varied scenery.

Oregon's coastal scenery is not just all conifer cloaked cliffs and lighthouses nestled on fantastic promontories. As I headed south, broad sandy beaches and pounding surf became the norm. Here you can see a typical view of the southern parts of the Oregon Coast.

• Pros:Beautiful coastline, friendly people, unmarred natural environments.
  • Cons:No holiday (vacation) will be long enough!
  • In a nutshell:Experience Oregon's stunning natural beauty and unspoiled scenery.
  • Last visit to Oregon: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2007

• birchy99's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Really a nice job on the Oregon pages. Did anyone mention the name Sam Hill in relation to the Col Rvr Hwy? He was the guy who pushed the idea in the early 1900's. He was quite the eccentric.

• justtravelingthru's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 2:59 PM

Love your page about Oregon. I grew up there...It's interesting seeing portland from a travler's prespective. Makes me miss home!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2006 at 1:03 AM

havn't seen your stuff for a while, looking forward to seeing this page develop

worldkiwi

“We all share one planet, so look after it and be nice to each other!”

Badges & Stats in Oregon