"Roadtripping down the Oregon Coast." Oregon by worldkiwi
Oregon Travel Guide: 5,345 reviews and 14,153 photos
Oregon's very name conjours images of rugged wilderness and romantic notions of exploration. The traveller in this scenic state can actually still experience the joie de vivre that comes when discovering a gem-like place far from the maddening crowds. I was enchanted by Oregon - the coastal beauty and the warm, friendly people. When I suddenly saw the 'welcome to California' road side sign startlingly sooner than I expected one sunny afternoon driving south, I both regretted the direction I was going and thanked my lucky stars I had even a small glimpse of this wonderful state. I hope one day to return, but for now I have a calendar, a beautiful book of stunning photographs from all over the state and my memories of an all too short journey down the Oregon coast.
My journey through Oregon took me from Portland in the north, southwards towards California down the scenic Pacific coast. Based in Portland for two nights, I made a day trip out along the Historic Columbia River Highway to Hood River. Despite the awful weather on that day, I had a very memorable drive and saw some great landscapes. From Portland, I headed southwest to the Oregon Coast, stopping to indulge my passion for aviation at the brilliant Evergreen Aviation Museum in McVinnville before driving on to the charming town of Newport. The next day, I headed south to sleepy little Bandon, stopping at the scenic Cape Perpetua State Park. After that, it was on to northern California: just three days in total on this beautiful stretch of coastline. Blessed with beautiful sunny weather, I packed my days full and in the following pages I hope you get a favourable impression of this surprisingly untouched corner of the United States.
Oregon's coastal scenery is not just all conifer cloaked cliffs and lighthouses nestled on fantastic promontories. As I headed south, broad sandy beaches and pounding surf became the norm. Here you can see a typical view of the southern parts of the Oregon Coast.
- Pros:Beautiful coastline, friendly people, unmarred natural environments.
- Cons:No holiday (vacation) will be long enough!
- In a nutshell:Experience Oregon's stunning natural beauty and unspoiled scenery.
Along the historic Columbia River Highway are several picturesque waterfalls. The biggest and most visited natural... more travel advice
I stopped in Brookings, the last major town before California to linger in Oregon and after making the mistake of... more travel advice
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Oregon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "OREGON IS HOME"
- "Oregon, the most beautiful state"
- "Oregon: A Treasure Often Overlooked"
- "Famous for Rain, but That's Only Part of the Story"
- "Welcome to Oregon State"
- "Oregon: End of the Frontier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oregon
- Hotels in Oregon
- Transportation in Oregon
- Nightlife in Oregon
- Restaurants in Oregon
- Shopping in Oregon
- Warnings and Dangers in Oregon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oregon
- 31 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Oregon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oregon
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: More problems with the travel..."
- updated a Oregon Travel Page "Roadtripping down the Oregon Coast."
- Wrote a Review Waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge. in Oregon Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge."
- Commented on one of ZanieOR's Oregon travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos