"The Northwest experience 2006." United States of America by worldkiwi

United States of America Travel Guide: 288,258 reviews and 669,284 photos

An experience that changed perceptions.

My first travel experiences in the USA were born of the opportunity to indulge my passion for commercial aeroplanes. My uncle who works for Air New Zealand was stationed at the Boeing Factory near Everett (Paine Field) to oversee the production of our national airline's fleet of B777-200s. Around a stay with my uncle and auntie in Seattle, I decided to take the chance to see a bit more of North America and so developed a plan to see a swathe of the Pacific Northwest. My starting point would be Vancouver in British Columbia and my finishing point would be San Francisco, the first city I'd come to with a direct air route home to New Zealand.
What I discovered for myself in the US states of Washington and Oregon, in particular, was a beautiful green environment, friendly and disarmingly generous people, and a lifestyle that reminded me a lot of the South Island in New Zealand. The most powerful and lasting images and experiences I have of my time travelling down the Pacific Coast from Seattle to San Francisco were those friendly people (I never expected to encounter such genuine warmth and welcoming in the US) and the beautiful, intoxicating landscapes.
From never being high on my list of places to see, the USA has now firmly fixed it's place. I have been totally blown away by what I experienced in the US and hope to one day go back and see more of this vast country. I especially want to explore more of Washington and Oregon. Although similar in many ways to where I come from, these states have captivated me. I now know too, that not all Americans share George Bush's traits and in fact, in the Pacific Northwest, the shared values of the people there with the values of people in New Zealand, probably helped me build this strange bond I found I had with the place.

Five reasons why my travel in the US was so great.

1. The friendly and genuinely warm and welcoming people.
2. The beautiful scenery of Oregon.
3. The cosmopolitan atmosphere of San Francisco.
4. The great food.
5. The beautiful summer weather.

• Pros:Generous and friendly people, beautiful scenery, good roads, great food.
  • Cons:It can be expensive, some areas in cities are not so nice.
  • In a nutshell:There's more to this country than the well known stereotypes... explore to learn.
  • Last visit to United States of America: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2006

Comments

worldkiwi

“We all share one planet, so look after it and be nice to each other!”

Badges & Stats in United States of America

Have you been to United States of America?