"The Northwest experience 2006." United States of America by worldkiwi
United States of America Travel Guide: 292,305 reviews and 683,413 photos
My first travel experiences in the USA were born of the opportunity to indulge my passion for commercial aeroplanes. My uncle who works for Air New Zealand was stationed at the Boeing Factory near Everett (Paine Field) to oversee the production of our national airline's fleet of B777-200s. Around a stay with my uncle and auntie in Seattle, I decided to take the chance to see a bit more of North America and so developed a plan to see a swathe of the Pacific Northwest. My starting point would be Vancouver in British Columbia and my finishing point would be San Francisco, the first city I'd come to with a direct air route home to New Zealand.
What I discovered for myself in the US states of Washington and Oregon, in particular, was a beautiful green environment, friendly and disarmingly generous people, and a lifestyle that reminded me a lot of the South Island in New Zealand. The most powerful and lasting images and experiences I have of my time travelling down the Pacific Coast from Seattle to San Francisco were those friendly people (I never expected to encounter such genuine warmth and welcoming in the US) and the beautiful, intoxicating landscapes.
From never being high on my list of places to see, the USA has now firmly fixed it's place. I have been totally blown away by what I experienced in the US and hope to one day go back and see more of this vast country. I especially want to explore more of Washington and Oregon. Although similar in many ways to where I come from, these states have captivated me. I now know too, that not all Americans share George Bush's traits and in fact, in the Pacific Northwest, the shared values of the people there with the values of people in New Zealand, probably helped me build this strange bond I found I had with the place.
1. The friendly and genuinely warm and welcoming people.
2. The beautiful scenery of Oregon.
3. The cosmopolitan atmosphere of San Francisco.
4. The great food.
5. The beautiful summer weather.
- Pros:Generous and friendly people, beautiful scenery, good roads, great food.
- Cons:It can be expensive, some areas in cities are not so nice.
- In a nutshell:There's more to this country than the well known stereotypes... explore to learn.
I hired a car in Seattle and drove to San Francisco. I gave myself 7 days to do this, and made the focus or theme of my... more travel advice
worldkiwi's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 83 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: More problems with the travel..."
- Wrote a Review Make a road trip down the Pacific Coast! in United States of America Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Make a road trip down the Pacific Coast!"
- updated a United States of America Travel Page "The Northwest experience 2006."
Photos in United States of AmericaSee All Photos (142)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos