"Bay of Islands - summertime holiday capital!" Bay of Islands by worldkiwi
Bay of Islands Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 263 photos
In January 2004 I visited the Bay of Islands in summer for the first time! I felt that I had escaped to another country for the four days I was there. Sparkling clear water, outdoor bars you can comfortably sit in till 1am, hot and sunny days, beautiful white sand beaches, dolphins, and a holiday feel you can't get anywhere else in NZ, make the Bay of Islands a place I will always have fond memories of.
In 2006, I enjoyed another short break in the Bay of Islands. This time, the weather wasn't so kind, but despite persistent low cloud, it was warm and humid. The weather didn't put us off outdoor activities and the highlight of the trip was getting to swim with bottlenose dolphins!
Visit the Bay of Islands during New Zealand's summer: December to March. The best months are usually the latter half of January and all through February. The evenings can be a bit cooler in March (actually autumn), but the days are usually dry and sunny. Also, in Feb and Mar, all the NZers are back at work (unfortunately for us). Make sure you get out on a boat at least once and see the Bay of Islands from the best vantage point.
visit Urupukapuka Island;
swim at a beach on Urupukapuka Island;
wander around the Waitangi Historic reserve, where modern NZ was born;
dine outside on a warm summer evening;
On the two summer trips I've made to the Bay of Islands as an adult, I have gone on the same dolphin watching trip - with Awesome Adventures (Fullers), from Paihia. Both trips were great, and the 2006 one was very memorable because we got to swim with bottlenose dolphins! See my 'must do' section.
- Pros:Warm summer nights, great nightlife, beautiful beaches, sparkling bays, serene islands!
- Cons:I can't think of any!
- In a nutshell:Great place for a holiday!
The Haruru falls are worth a stop. They are on state highway 11, west of Paihia. There are two vantage points: from the... more travel advice
I had to add another dolphin picture to the page. This is a Bottlenose dolphin. They were very docile and curious... more travel advice
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Bay of Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Playground of the North"
- "A wonderful weekend at Cliffedge, Opua"
- "The pretty area of the 'BAY OF ISLANDS'"
- "A Bit of Paradise"
- "A week in waterland"
- "Bay of Islands - summertime holiday capital!"
- "Bay of Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bay of Islands
- Hotels in Bay of Islands
- Transportation in Bay of Islands
- Restaurants in Bay of Islands
- Shopping in Bay of Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bay of Islands
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Bay of Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bay of Islands
Photos in Bay of IslandsSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos