"Auckland - City of Sails." Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland by worldkiwi
Auckland Travel Guide: 1,052 reviews and 2,329 photos
Auckland is my home city, though I live in an outlying part of the Auckland Region. Most Aucklanders don't really differentiate much between the two geographic concepts. VT now does and this page is therefore about the urban part of Auckland Region.
The city is known in New Zealand as "The City of Sails", for its strong yachting community. The city has one of the highest yachts per capita statistics in the world!
About 1.1 million people live in greater Auckland, making it home to roughly one third of New Zealand's entire population.
The main part of the city is located on an isthmus between two natural harbours. The Waitemata Harbour is where the main port and yacht marinas are. The Americas cup was based here in 2000 and again in 2003. The Waitemata opens into the beautiful island studded Hauraki Gulf.
Auckland is often quickly passed through by tourists, but there's lots to do in and around the city.
My new Chinese Lantern Festival travelogue is finally finished. Have a look.
The following web page and its site provides up to the minute information about what's happening in Auckland.
- Pros:Great cafes, a huge variety of things to see and do, NZ's most cosmipolitan city
- Cons:You need a car to see everything - poor public transport, bad traffic pollution
- In a nutshell:NZ's most vibrant city
In 2014, on the first day of winter, I visited the Auckland Botanic Gardens for the first time. This large parkland is... more travel advice
Muriwai beach is one of Auckland's premier surf spots. Located to the northwest of the city, on the wild Tasman Sea... more travel advice
- See All Panoramic harbour views from Devonport.
- See All Explore North Head.
- See All Not one of Auckland's best.
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Auckland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Auckland"
- "AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS"
- "Between Rainforest and Traffic Jam"
- "Auckland - City of Sails."
- "Auckland Area Views"
- "Auckland - City of Sails"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auckland
- Hotels in Auckland
- Transportation in Auckland
- Nightlife in Auckland
- Restaurants in Auckland
- Shopping in Auckland
- Warnings and Dangers in Auckland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auckland
- 45 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Auckland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auckland
Photos in AucklandSee All Photos (76)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos