"Dunedin - "The Edinburgh of the South"." Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin by worldkiwi
Dunedin Travel Guide: 342 reviews and 819 photos
Dunedin is the "capital" of Otago province in NZ's South Island. The city is home to just over 100 000 people, so by world standards it isn't that big. One of the things that struck me about the place though is that it has more life in its centre than you'd expect. There is a wide variety of restaurants and good cafes abound. The central 'square' is called The Octagon, for obvous reasons when you see it and is bordered by some nice cafes at which to take coffee. Dunedin is also NZ's oldest city and as a result there is a collection of picturesque old buildings - many of beautiful stone work - and a walk around the city to see them is a must do at some stage. The city also prides itself on its Scottish heritage, though this isn't always obvious when you're walking around town. It is home to a huge univeristy student population from around the country and the world, so Dunedin is a little more cosmipolitan than one might expect. I really enjoyed my time in this compact and well organised city and can thoroughly recommend that you spend some time there!
- Pros:Glorious buildings, lots of good cafes, easy to get around, heaps to do and see.
- Cons:It can be very cold, lots of traffic lights if you're driving.
- In a nutshell:A compact city, in an attractive location. Wonderful heritage and a big city feel - despite its size.
According to the Guiness Book of Records, Baldwin Street, in north Dunedin is the world's steepest street. I've classed... more travel advice
Glenfalloch means 'peaceful valley' and this place is indeed just that. The gardens are free (donations welcome) and... more travel advice
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Dunedin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Pride of the South"
- "New Zealand's 1st City"
- "Dunedin - "The Edinburgh of the South"."
- "Dunedin, near the Otago Peninsula in the south Is."
- "Dunedin, my favourite City in New Zealand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dunedin
- Hotels in Dunedin
- Transportation in Dunedin
- Nightlife in Dunedin
- Restaurants in Dunedin
- Shopping in Dunedin
- Warnings and Dangers in Dunedin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dunedin
- 19 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Dunedin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dunedin
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: More problems with the travel..."
- Commented on one of tinkabel's Dunedin travel pages
- Wrote a Review Getting there by air. in Dunedin Transportation
- updated a Dunedin Travel Page "Dunedin - "The Edinburgh of the South"."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The world's steepest street?"
Photos in DunedinSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 42 reviews, 54 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos