"Art Deco capital of New Zealand" Top 5 Page for this destination Napier by worldkiwi
Napier Travel Guide: 200 reviews and 520 photos
Napier is a small city on the east coast of New Zealand. It is the main centre for the Hawkes Bay Region. The city is famous for its Art Deco architecture, which is a result of a rather tragic event. In February 1931, a massive earthquake hit the Hawkes Bay and destroyed Napier's city centre and the lives of over 200 people. Following the earthquake, the city centre was reconstructed in the fashion of the times and thankfully today the architectural heritage of that time has been preserved, even if it isn't at street level in the main shopping area. Just look up and you will see what Napier has become famous for.
Napier and the wider Hawkes Bay Region has a sunny and dry climate and is a reknown wine growing area. Napier has a number of interesting sights and a relaxed urban feel, that make it well worth a few days on any itinerary.
Make sure you do/see the following while in Napier.
1. Stroll along Marine Parade (the picture-perfect seafront avenue in the city).
2. Explore the city centre's art deco streets.
3. Visit the National Aquarium and be enchanted by the sea-turtles.
4. Visit the Napier Museum on Marine Parade.
5. Sit in a street front cafe and sip coffee.
- Pros:A laid back city and good base for exploring the region.
- Cons:The main beach is too dangerous to swim at (currents and sharp incline)
- In a nutshell:A city I would love to spend more time in!
I stayed here with three friends during a long weekend get-away to Napier and the Hawkes Bay region in April 2006. The... more travel advice
The I-site office should be one of your first stops in Napier. Just across Marine Parade from the iconic A&B Building,... more travel advice
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Napier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Napier, Art Deco architecture capital of the world"
- "ART DECO CITY"
- "Napier - Art Deco and Gannets"
- "Art Deco capital of New Zealand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Napier
- Hotels in Napier
- Transportation in Napier
- Nightlife in Napier
- Restaurants in Napier
- Shopping in Napier
- Warnings and Dangers in Napier
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Napier
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Napier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Napier
Photos in NapierSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 44 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Bali Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (36)
Latest Napier hotel reviews
- Bluewater Hotel
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- The Tennyson
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 7, 2011
- Criterion Art Deco Backpackers
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Deco City Motor Lodge
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Shoreline Motel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 24, 2011
- Albatross Motel
- 247 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Mon Logis
- 274 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Bay View Snapper Holiday Park
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Scenic Hotel Te Pania
- 270 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013