"Fancy a day at the beach?" Orewa by worldkiwi
Orewa Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 11 photos
I spend most of my week days in Orewa and so I thought it was about time I made a page about this beach town.
The town is part of the "Hibiscus Coast" urban conglomeration about 30 minutes north of Auckland central on the motorway.
The town's biggest asset is its long beach, which although it's sometimes classed as a surf beach, is really generally pretty placid and very safe to swim at. In fact I don't think I've ever seen anyone surf there except in a cyclone force storm when the beach is pretty empty!
The town itself is a badly planned mess that represents a history of hodge podge growth without central direction. Oddly, it's set around a rather uniform grid of streets, but shops and buildings have sprung up as needed and are therefore very utilitarian looking. There's lots of walking required from one shop to another with no real central cluster. There's no real architectural charm to the place. However, to the council's credit they have spruced up the footpaths with nice paving and planted palm trees. Hillary Square, named after the famous NZer who conquered Everest, has received the most attention and is a huge improvement on what was before. A new paved area has linked the beachfront more directly to the town's main road - Moana Ave.
The town does benefit from a surprisingly wide variety of eateries for such a small place and the cafes in particular are of a very high standard.
There are a number of places to stay ranging from campgrounds to expensive hotels. The new multi-storey Nautilus provides accommodation for those with a few dollars they don't mind spending!
- Pros:Great cafes, a nice place to stay near Auckland, a huge beach.
- Cons:Poorly planned town that has grown without thought.
- In a nutshell:Not a bad place to spend most of one's days really!
This is a new restaurant at street level in the new Nautilus building in central Orewa. The restaurant has been nicely... more travel advice
This is a very busy, yet very friendly cafe in the heart of Orewa. It is tucked away from the road, so only locals will... more travel advice
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Orewa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fancy a day at the beach?"
- "Orewa Beach"
- "Beachside Orewa, just north of Auckland"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orewa
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Orewa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orewa
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: More problems with the travel..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Teriyaki fish that melts in your mouth!"
- Wrote a Review Teriyaki fish that melts in your mouth! in Orewa Restaurants
- created a Orewa Travel Page "Fancy a day at the beach?"
- Commented on one of kiwi's Orewa travel pages
Photos in OrewaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 42 reviews, 54 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos