"Tirau - a small town with a lot of antiques shops!" Tirau by worldkiwi
Tirau Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 118 photos
Tirau is one of those small New Zealand provincial towns that exist primarily to serve the local agricultural community. However, many, including Tirau, try hard to capture the interest (and dollars) of passing travellers.
Tirau has done a particularly good job, with a number of good reasons for travellers to stop there.
The town is located at the intersection of state highways 1 and 27 in the Waikato Region of North Island. Tirau's main road (which is actually state highway 1) is lined with anitques shops and cafes. I was surprised at how many antiques shops this small place had. If you were really interested in this sort of thing, you could easily spend at least half a day browsing. Tirau is also graced with a number of good looking cafes. So if you stopped for lunch and a spot of antiques hunting, you could eat up the best part of a day there!
To top all this off is some unique "art work" with corrugated iron sculptures all over the place. There are even two buildings made of the stuff - one in the shape of a giant sheep and the other a giant sheep dog.
- Pros:A bustling little rural town full of surprises.
- Cons:Crossing the main road can be a problem at times!
- In a nutshell:Well worth a coffee stop at least when travelling in the Waikato.
Approaching Tirau from the south, you will see a big castle on a hill. Of course we don't have castles in New Zealand... more travel advice
I really enjoyed my recent lunch stop in Tirau. I had never noticed before, as I drove through, how much effort had been... more travel advice
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Tirau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stop at Tirau ~ don't just drive through!"
- "Tirau, on the way to Rotorua and Taupo."
- "Tirau - a small town with a lot of antiques shops!"
- "What corrugated iron can do for your town"
- "Tirau - almost in the middle of nowhere"
- "The corrugated iron town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tirau
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Tirau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tirau
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: More problems with the travel..."
- Commented on one of kiwi's Tirau travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tacky or novel... you decide. about The Castle Cafe. in Tirau Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "An example of corrugated iron art work in Tirau."
- created a Tirau Travel Page "Tirau - a small town with a lot of antiques shops!"
Photos in TirauSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Bali Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue