"Modern New Zealand's historic birth place." Waitangi by worldkiwi
Waitangi Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 56 photos
Waitangi is basically one big Historic Reserve, just north of Paihia in the Bay of Islands.
Waitangi was the place where the Treaty of Waitangi (now often called New Zealand's founding document) was signed between representatives of the British government and chiefs of Maori tribes (iwi) in Northland and some other North Island areas. The document basically made New Zealand part of the British Empire and was signed on 6 February 1840 after three days of discussion.
Unfortunately in the 1850s, a blatantly racist settler government tossed the thing out and made some big blunders which have repercussions today. However, all New Zealanders are learning that the spirit of the treaty was noble and worth trying for and so now we all respect the treaty and are trying to right some of the wrongs done back in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
You can visit the house built for the first British governmental official in New Zealand and learn more about our young nation's history. Entrance is NZ$12 (2006).
When you go inside the national meeting house, you'll be impressed by the dramatic carvings and tukutuku panels. If you... more travel advice
James Busby came to New Zealand in the 1830's to act as a sort of British ambassador and law keeper for the many British... more travel advice
worldkiwi's Related Pages
Waitangi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waitangi - Treaty Grounds"
- "Tratado de Watangi"
- "Modern New Zealand's historic birth place."
- "Whare Runanga Maori meeting house"
- "Waitangi - The Very Heart of our Nation"
- "NZ, best to drive."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waitangi
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Waitangi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waitangi
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Can't update my travel map"
- updated a Waitangi Travel Page "Modern New Zealand's historic birth place."
- Wrote a Review The interior of Whare Runanga. in Waitangi Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Te Whare Runanga - a national meeting house."
- Commented on one of IcemanNZL's Waitangi travel pages
Photos in WaitangiSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 44 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Oregon Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Northland Intro, 27 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bali Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 28 reviews, 32 photos