"brdwtchr's new Newton Page" Newton by brdwtchr
Newton Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 24 photos
Newton started out much as Abiline and Dodge City did. It was the cowton at the end of the railroad line. Cattle from Texas were driven north to the railhead there. Historically Newton was called "Wickedest City in the West" because gamblers, bar keepers, and "soiled doves" came to Newton to help the cowboys spend their wages. The railroad line soon moved farther south and west. The cowboys were replaced by hard working Mennonite settlers. Later on Newton had highways coming through. This town grew while a lot of other smaller towns did not. Newton is the biggest city in the area. It is close to several other interesting little towns. The photo is of some of the architecture on the building at 500 Main Place.
This is the train station in Newton on the main street. Supposedly the station was built to look like the home of... more travel advice
This is the front of the Warkentine House. Bad picture. The sun was behind house putting the front in shadow. House is... more travel advice
brdwtchr's Related Pages
Newton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ON THE VAST AND FERTILE PLAINS OF KANSAS......."
- "brdwtchr's new Newton Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newton
- Transportation in Newton
- Restaurants in Newton
- Warnings and Dangers in Newton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newton
- 11 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Newton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newton
Photos in NewtonSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Emporia Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Branson Intro, 40 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 52 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Wichita Intro, 44 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kansas City Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Intro, 28 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Junction City Intro, 35 reviews, 33 photos
- El Dorado Intro, 30 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hutchinson Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Topeka Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue