"brdwtchr's new Emporia Page" Emporia by brdwtchr

Emporia Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 156 photos

In Truman Capote's novel "In Cold Blood" he describes Emporia as "a large town, almost a city, and a safe place..." Emporia still feels that way. It has aspects of a town where people know one another and yet can also seem at times like a small city. My family moved here when I was a boy and I grew up in Emporia. I live in rural Lyon County not far from there now. The photo is from two miles out side of town facing toward Emporia. Emporia is not a big town or a place for tourists but I know the town well and I will show you all the things an outsider would miss.

• Intro Written Jun 23, 2002

• Feliciah777's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2009 at 6:35 AM

didn't they get rid of that restruant to put in condos or something...

• Mar 27, 2008 at 11:09 PM

I loved reading about Emporia. Sounds like a wonderful place to live. I am looking forward to visiting. Thank you for the information.

• Dec 31, 2006 at 10:06 PM

Just wanted to wish you a Happy New Year! Always, Me

• Jul 25, 2006 at 2:55 PM

The University Inn has been closed for over three years. Many consider The Grand Hotel in Cottonwood Falls (20 miles southwest of Emporia), the best place to stay in the area.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 9:19 PM

Incredible that someone can dissapear for 20 months and still be ranked 208...I dissapeared for 2 yrs and dropped from 100 something to 5500...I should get a scary PPP.Tim

• Suzie3's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2004 at 9:32 AM

Luv Ks! My in laws live in Lawrence and I just love the whole feel of the state, lovely people, darling towns. Peter Pan Park!!!! My favorite story, probably why I am having so much fun now.

• dutch_anna's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2004 at 5:10 AM

Welcome back! What a great page about Emporia. I'll not forget to do the country wave :-))

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2004 at 12:33 PM

a teacher museum, great can they add me to that museum when I am old :-) Like the kindergarten

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2003 at 2:53 AM

I like the fact that almost all your tips are "Off the Beaten Path" - symptomatic of the town perhaps? Love your swallowtail shot!

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2003 at 8:32 AM

A brilliant page and travelogues Steve, you have so much to offer in Emporia, it looks wonderful, especially like the pic of Becky sitting in the restaurant, I could imagine sitting there with her having a meal and a glass or 3 of Zinfandell :-)

brdwtchr

“Do I really have to have one?”

Badges & Stats in Emporia

Have you been to Emporia?

Latest Activity in Emporia