"Rosarito Beach and a Little Beyond!" Top 5 Page for this destination Rosarito by lmkluque
Rosarito Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 406 photos
Welcome to my Rosarito Beach page,
This town in Baja California Norte, Mexico is about half an hour's drive south from Tijuana, Mexico / San Diego, California and can be a nice day trip from either city.
Rosarito offers a beach, history reaching back to native tribes and Spanish missions. The city has grown in many ways, but the village atmosphere still can be perceived through the modern day additions.
Puerto Nuevo was a fishing village just south of Rosarito, where Mexicans living in Tijuana and Americans living in San Diego would travel to have lobster just caught fresh from the ocean. It became so popular that this village has grown and is now a small town and a visit for lunch or dinner is highly recommended.
This is the way to do it:
Take the toll road (Ensenada Cuota) from Playas de Tijuana to Rosarito Beach. The sights on the way are interesting and the view of the Pacific Ocean from the cliffs is awesome. When you arrive at Rosarito check out the beach, go to the mission, walk around, and do a little shopping. There are the ever popular curio shops along the road, but also there are interesting places offering such items as the unusual piece of glass sculpture or hand made furniture and of course Mexican hand painted pottery.
Just before hunger sets in for lunch, get on the main road and drive south until you come to the huge "CALAFIA RESORT" sign. The entrance is difficult to see, so watch out for the sign. Stop at the Calafia Resort restaurant for a pre-lunch Margarita on their patio over looking the Pacific Ocean. (The food is very good here but the prices are quite high these days.) Calafia's linen covered tabled restaurant spills out or the building and staggers along the edges all over the cliff. Yes, you may sit at any table placed at various levels of the cliff all the way down to the ocean. At ocean level, there is an old, wrecked pirate’s ship. This old sailing vessel has been salvaged and the deck serves as a dance floor for Club 1773, the resort's night club. It is opened to the public as well as the resort residents.
When finished with the Margarita and the spectacular view, have the designated driver continue on south to Puerto Nuevo. This is the place to have the least expensive and most tender lobster ever! Langosta Puerto Nuevo!! Truly tender lobster--two tails--served with, a green salad, rice, frijoles and tortillas, all for about $15.00--maybe a little more now. A Margarita or beer goes well with this meal!
In the early days of Puerto Nuevo's history, people would drive down from San Diego or Tijuana and stop at the local's homes for a feast of Langosta Puerto Nuevo, which the men of the village caught in the early hours and the women would cook to order, for any one stopping by. The charge was so modest that it became the thing to do. After years of this place being a well kept secret, its popularity grew and grew. Now it's rather crowded and has many restaurants in this tiny village, but still the same, is a delicious meal for a great price.
After eating, drinking and having a good time--it's so easy to have a good time in Mexico--drive north back to Rosarito Beach and stop in at the Rosarito Beach Hotel for drinks and dancing! More about this famous Hotel later....
I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
- Pros:The tenderest lobster at the lowest price!
- Cons:Not a secret any more!
- In a nutshell:Go there for at least a meal! You won't be sorry.
There are three locations that I know about, two in Tijuana and one in Rosarito Beach. If you are a meat lover this is a... more travel advice
Drive to Calafia! Historic, cultural and tourist center. A family resort hotel with ocean view suites, a cliffside... more travel advice
lmkluque's Related Pages
Rosarito Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ROSARITO BEACH, MEXICO"
- "Rosarito Beach and a Little Beyond!"
- "Nice Beach Minutes away from TJ"
- "WEEKEND HAVEN FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA"
- "Pink_Pash's Rosarito Fun"
- "Rosarito- On a Sober Day"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rosarito
- Hotels in Rosarito
- Transportation in Rosarito
- Nightlife in Rosarito
- Restaurants in Rosarito
- Shopping in Rosarito
- Warnings and Dangers in Rosarito
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rosarito
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Rosarito?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rosarito
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 176 reviews, 567 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 65 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 171 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue