"Arlington National Cemetery" Arlington by lmkluque
Arlington Travel Guide: 482 reviews and 1,162 photos
Welcome to my Arlington page,
Arlington was named after the "Arlington House" built by George Washington Parke Custis, whose daughter, Mary Ann Randolph Custis, married Robert E. Lee.
The Lees lived in Arlington House until the beginning of the Civil War in 1861. This house is a good example of Greek Revival Architecture combined with many features of the grand plantation houses of the 1880's.
Union Soldiers were buried here which was the beginning of the National Cemetery.
The most famous site at the cemetery is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, honoring the remains of soldiers from WWI, WWII and Vietnam. On a white marble block, the words, "Here rests in honored glory an American Soldier known but to God."
Many great Americans are buried here, as well as French born Pierre CharlesL'Enfant, the man who made the original design of Washington DC.
I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
lmkluque's Related Pages
Arlington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cemetery, Pentagon, VT-meeting and more!"
- "b1bob does Arlington"
- "Arlington has a little of Everything"
- "Historic Sites and Good Hotels"
- "A Salute to our Heroes"
- "The Air Force Memorial"
- "Welcome to Arlington National Cemetery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arlington
- Hotels in Arlington
- Transportation in Arlington
- Nightlife in Arlington
- Restaurants in Arlington
- Shopping in Arlington
- Warnings and Dangers in Arlington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arlington
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Arlington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arlington
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Suggestions for a day itinerary"
- Commented on one of lmkluque's Arlington travel pages
- updated a Arlington Travel Page "Arlington National Cemetery"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Arlington National Cemetery"
- Wrote a Review Get A Map And Prepare in Arlington Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 168 reviews, 536 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 167 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 62 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- National City Intro, 45 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 111 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues