Overton Things to Do Tips by lmkluque
Overton Things to Do: 5 reviews and 4 photos
The huge earth formations are awesome, but also look out for the smaller offerings of the Valley of Fire. Here is Petrified Wood protected by a chain-link fence with a warning not to touch. While out in the desert it seems that there is little life of any kind, but a closer look will show that the desert is teeming with fauna and flora that is at once weird, beautiful and amazing. Don't miss these hiddent treasures.
Also, since these are Federally protected areas, you may not remove anything from the parks.
Ancient Indian Writings
The Lost City of Overton Museum of Archaeology was small, but interesting. There were many samples of the artifacts found at the "dig" with explanations of the life the Anasazi and other ancient people lived.
The original wing of the museum opened in 1935 and was filled with wonderful Anasazi artifacts. The new wing, featuring early man displays, information about the Paiute and the geology of the area was also intriguing for me and my sons.
Of course, the most exciting discoveries were the petroglyphs, which have been dated back over 3,000 years. Also a gift shop connected to the museum sold books, copies of discovered items as well as present day art work of the local Indians.
Pueblo Grande de Nevada was another name for this archeological site. The Pueblo foundation was discovered about 1930 and it was great fun for kids to explore!
Address: 721 South Moapa Valley Boulevard
Directions: About 64 Miles northeast of Las Vegas--an hour's drive.
Phone: (702) 397-2193
Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is the first designated Conservation Area in Nevada. You'll a fantastic example of the earth's movements over the last two or three thousand years. Here you can drive though, hike the trails, climb the rocks, ride horses or mountain bikes, picnic or just observe nature. There is Visitor's Center and a book store . So, if your time in the area is short you might choose Red Rock Canyon NCA rather than The Valley of Fire which is about thrity some milse further.
Address: About 17 miles west of Las Vegas
More Reviews (17)
- Pack For Safety!
- See All Valley of Fire!
- See All Lost City Rediscovered
- Is Hiking A Sport?
- Be Prepared!
- Indian Reservation!
lmkluque's Related Pages
Overton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Valley of Fire--Red Rock--Lost City"
- "Tim's Overton Page"
- "The Lost City Museum and Ruins"
- "Overton - Visit here from Las Vegas"
- "Small Town Big Charm - Gateway to Valley of Fire"
- ""Valley Of Fire State Park""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Overton
- Hotels in Overton
- Transportation in Overton
- Nightlife in Overton
- Restaurants in Overton
- Shopping in Overton
- Warnings and Dangers in Overton
- See All...
Explore the World
- Campamento Guavate Hotels
- Alamogordo Hotels
- Maitland Hotels
- Seefeld in Tirol Hotels
Badges & Stats in Overton
- 20 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Overton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Overton
Photos in OvertonSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 153 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 46 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 54 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 105 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos
Latest Overton hotel reviews
- North Shore Inn
- 2 Reviews & Opinions