"Valley of Fire--Red Rock--Lost City" Overton by lmkluque
Overton Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 53 photos
Welcome to my Overton page,
The Valley of Fire is north of Las Vegas and worth a trip to see the ancient landscape.
Red Rock has fantastic rock and earth formations.
On the other side of the open road to the Valley Of Fire is the Lost City of Overton, you will find the museum.
I hope you enjoy your visit,
It is rare for the average person to have the opportuity of seeing petroglyphs in their original location. Though there are petroglyphs throughout the park, it is, Mouse's Tank and Atlatl Rock that these bits of ancient art can be found most easily.
This section is found about a quarter of a mile's hike in the Valley of Fire.
My cousin from Slovakia has always been interested in Native American Indians and was thrilled to see this bit of their history.
The museum at the Lost City of Overton offers a glimpse into the ancient history of this part of our country. Natural history and man made history.
The color of the earth and the rock formations are unique and beautiful. They were created by several natural conditions and the effect, especially at sunrise or sunset are spectacular. There are secret treasures hidden within these hills.
The Lost City of Overton Museum is small but still impressive. The artifacts were removed from their original location in 1935 in an effort to preserve them.
The Hover Dam was being built when all these things came to the attention of construction workers. The artifacts would soon be sealed under the water of the newly created Lake Mead if they weren't moved. So, they were excuvated and placed in the museum for us all to see.
Just outside the Museum, there are replicas of the dewllings of the indigenous people who lived here earlier.
- Pros:Beautiful, rustic and historical.
- In a nutshell:Worth a trip to see it.
Air and Water tight luggage/bags is a must. Especially to keep out the creepy crawlers. Light weight clothing for hot... more travel advice
What do I need to say about this city? Almost everyone has been there or has at least heard of it. I just think that Las... more travel advice
- See All Lost City Rediscovered
- Is Hiking A Sport?
- Be Prepared!
- Indian Reservation!
- Watch Out For "Jumping" Cactus!
lmkluque's Related Pages
Overton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Valley of Fire--Red Rock--Lost City"
- "Tim's Overton Page"
- "The Lost City Museum and Ruins"
- "Overton - Visit here from Las Vegas"
- "Small Town Big Charm - Gateway to Valley of Fire"
- ""Valley Of Fire State Park""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Overton
- Hotels in Overton
- Transportation in Overton
- Nightlife in Overton
- Restaurants in Overton
- Shopping in Overton
- Warnings and Dangers in Overton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Overton
- 20 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Overton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Overton
Photos in OvertonSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 168 reviews, 536 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 168 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos, 1 travelogue
- National City Intro, 45 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 111 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues