Yermo Off The Beaten Path Tips by lmkluque
Yermo Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Do I look like a silver miner?
Calico Ghost Town is now a recreation of the original silver and borax mining town that existed from the late nineteenth century.
In 1881 silver was discovered in this area and the town developed to support the needs of the miners. Later, borax was the other resource dug out of the surrounding hills. When the silver was gone and a larger deposit of borax was found nearer Los Angeles, the town became virtually abandoned.
In 1951 Mr. Walter Knott--of Knottsberry Farm fame--bought the whole town and did a great job of restoring Calico to give us a view of life, in the times of a Californian silver miner. About a third of the town is original.
There is a small scale railroad to ride around town on and various tours are offered, including a tour of the Maggie Mine which is not only interesting and informative but very cool--as in 50 degrees, sometimes it's half as cool in the mine as it is outside.
Phone: (760) 254-2122
Hey Mom, let's try this road!
'Hey Mom! Is this considered off the beaten path?'
This is Mule Canyon Road, it has a name, but no street sign and it was exciting for us to discover and explore. We (foolishly?) followed the path of this dirt road and found several caves, which the boys begged to stop to see and in a very remote area, we came across a modern day archeological site, not the Early Man Site, a modern Man site, cluttered with the residue of camp fires, scattered beer bottles, empty potato chip bags and torn candy wrappers! Obviously were were not the first.
More Reviews (19)
- See All Ancient Campfire Ring
- See All Who's Fault?
- See All Ghost Tours!
- Be Prepared!!
- See All The Early Man Site
- Rest Up After Shopping
- See All Take the slow train
- See All This Cowboy isn't what he seems to be!
- See All Take a picnic in with you, or try the...
- Use a Motorhome or a Tent
- Dangerous Desert!!!
Been to Yermo?Share your travels with the world!
lmkluque's Related Pages
Yermo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "So Much To Do In An Obsure Place!"
- "mafootje's new Yermo Page"
- "Yermo~Home of Peggy Sue's Dinner"
- "Roeffie's Ghost Town of Calico Page"
- "Yermo - California - USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yermo
- Hotels in Yermo
- Transportation in Yermo
- Nightlife in Yermo
- Restaurants in Yermo
- Shopping in Yermo
- Warnings and Dangers in Yermo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bossier City Hotels
- Midland Hotels
- Santa Ana
- Inch'on Hotels
- Lajas Hotels
- Garretstown and the Old head of Kinsale.
- Santiago Off The Beaten Path
- Hat Yai Off The Beaten Path
- Curaçao Off The Beaten Path
- Mauritius Off The Beaten Path
- Vintgar gorge
- Yosemite National Park
- Drumheller Off The Beaten Path
- Cebu Island Off The Beaten Path
- Bowral Off The Beaten Path
- Nan-t'ou Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Yermo
- 21 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Yermo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yermo
Photos in YermoSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 153 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 46 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 54 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 105 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos