"So Much To Do In An Obsure Place!" Yermo by lmkluque

Yermo Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 56 photos

Early Man Site

Welcome to my Yermo page,

Each of the many times we've traveled from San Diego to Las Vegas on Interstate 15 (I-15) we've passed the "Early Man Site" sign at Yermo. I always wondered what it was about.

One summer I took my two son's--at that time they were ten and eleven--on a "Ghost Town" holiday. Our sole purpose was to locate as many ghost towns as we could find in California and Nevada in the ten days we had to travel.

In Yermo, California we found both, a ghost town and the Early Man Site. We pitched our tent at the Yermo KOA and set out to explore the treasures of the high desert.

I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
Linda

• Pros:Off the Beaten Track
  • Cons:Hot and Dusty
  • In a nutshell:Fun to explore and worth our time!
  • Last visit to Yermo: Feb 2000
  • Intro Updated Mar 1, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

This sounds like an unusually fascinating place, especially the tour of the Early Man Site. Great that the docents are so knowledgeable and willing to stay on and answer questions after the tour.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Excellent tips! Looks like you had some wonderful memories here! One of these days we will stop at the Early Man Site! Nice job.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2006 at 7:46 AM

this is the type of Ghost Town I hope to be able to visit one day ! Its really funny to see these old hair-styles and clothings ;-)

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2003 at 8:03 PM

Linda ! I really enjoyed your page. well done.

• TinKan's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2003 at 2:05 PM

I did not think anyone could write so much about YERMO. Nice page and good information. Have to enjoy family trips.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2002 at 4:25 PM

Excellent inormation - KOA and the Calico Early Man Site look very interesting. And you are a very good map maker :-).

lmkluque