"San Ysidro, California, U.S.A?" San Ysidro by lmkluque
San Ysidro Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 53 photos
Welcome to my San Ysidro page,
There are moments while driving around San Ysidro I wonder if I'm still in the U.S.A. or have crossed into Mexico. The condition of many of the streets--especially residential--are more like those in Mexico than in the U.S.A. Much of the business community have more of a Mexican flavor than the rest of San Diego. Most signs are in both languages, even the sign on the San Diego Public Library is in Spanish! I guess, because of the location, history and population of San Ysidro that it still seems more a part of Mexico than the U.S.A.
In the 1700's Father Junipero Serra passed through a sloping valley, "Smugglers Gulch," on his journey to establish the twenty-one Missions of California, and set up camp on the north side of the river, in what is now known as San Ysidro.
This area became known as Little Lander's Colony in 1909 when William Smythe established a colony here. The colony was later renamed San Ysidro after the patron saint of the farmers (plowers,)
In July of 1957, the City of San Diego annexed San Ysidro, making it a new community of the city and with the completion of the freeways I-5 and I-805 San Ysidro became the world's largest port of entry. It is known as the Gateway to the Americas. A grand sounding name for an impovrished community.
However, great effort is being made by the San Ysidro Chamber of Commerce to remove the "third world" image of this community while holding on to the Mexican historical aspects and it is doing a fine job.
I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
The heart of the community is found here between the one-way streets of West Park and East Park. The island between these streets hold the Library, Senior's Center, a play ground with tennis/volleyball courts, a public park with barbaque grills for anyone to use and an active Community Center.
Driving through the residential area is like going back in time when streets were safe and neighbors knew one another. Of course, it's still quite a shock to have to stop the car to let an escaped rooster and his hen cross the street!
I've heard many negative comments about San Ysidro over the years and at times it does feel more like being in Mexico than in the USA but, I like it for the family oriented spot that it is, and you might too.
Since high school--many many moons ago I've been going to San Ysidro, to visit friends, shop, eat, exchange dollars for pesos, to pass through on the way to Tijuana and I even worked in San Ysidro for a short time. All that to say, I've seen many changes. The best and most exciting change is Las Americas! More than an outlet mall offering name brand products at a reduced price, it will possibly be a new entrance into Tijuana, Mexico. Combining a tourist's desire to shop and tour at the same time! If this project is successful we will see many more changes to San Ysidro and I hope that heart of the community isn't lost with progress.
- Pros:New Plans in the works.
- Cons:Not yet ready.
- In a nutshell:Worth at least a stop on the way to Tijuana.
This part of San Ysidro has an "out in the country" feel to it. First you come to the Community Garden, but unless it's... more travel advice
Most striking difference is the new exterior paint job. I came here when it was the Economy Inn to check it out for a VT... more travel advice
- Out In The Boondocks!
- See All Duty Free Shopping!
- Last Chance Exit Is Not The Last Chance!
- San Ysidro Village!
lmkluque's Related Pages
San Ysidro Travel Guide
- Things to Do in San Ysidro
- Hotels in San Ysidro
- Transportation in San Ysidro
- Restaurants in San Ysidro
- Shopping in San Ysidro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Ysidro
- 23 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to San Ysidro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Ysidro
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of lmkluque's San Ysidro tips
- updated a San Ysidro Travel Page "San Ysidro, California, U.S.A?"
- Wrote a Review Tijuana River Valley Regional Park in San Ysidro Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tijuana River Valley Regional Park"
Photos in San YsidroSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 175 reviews, 562 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 63 reviews, 206 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 64 reviews, 160 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 168 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue