"San Diego, California" Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego by lmkluque

San Diego Travel Guide: 3,361 reviews and 7,697 photos

AKA: America's Finest City

Perennially Under Construction

Welcome to my San Diego page.

Whether you are planning a trip to San Diego or just making a Virtual Tour, I have tried to include enough information about my hometown to give you a fair view of this lovely city.

Most of the sites in San Diego that a tourist might want to see or visit are just as often frequented by the residents. We have mild summers, on the hottest days, the ocean breeze serves as an air conditioner. Our winters are also mild and there are few rainy days. Snow would be headline news and was twice since I've lived here! Living in San Diego is almost like being on vacation all year long so, you'll most likely enjoy your stay, no matter when you arrive.

A strong Spanish / Mexican influence can be found in San Diego due to our proximity to Mexico and to our historical foundations.

Many of the tips offered here go beyond the boundaries of "Downtown San Diego," which means that walking from one place to another is not always an option. (You can’t walk from your downtown hotel to the nearest beach unless you've trained for it.) Public transportation is adequate, and it is possible to get around if you haven’t a car, but riding the bus or trolley is time consuming and exhausting. If at all possible rent a car, you’ll be able to have the time and energy to see more.

San Diego is Home to Comic-Con International, the best four-day party ever! Every year in July.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at lmkluque@VirtualTourist.com and I’ll do my best to help you with your plans.

I hope you enjoy your visit,

San Diego, City and County

The city of San Diego is in the county of San Diego which can make things confusing, because San Diegans refer to almost every place in the county as "in" San Diego.

La Jolla, is a community of the City of San Diego but Chula Vista is a city in the County of San Diego. I'll try to keep things as simple as I can.

For more information and an added perspective take a look at the San Diego page of VT member Spartan. He lives in the northern end of San Diego and I live in the southern end, between us you'll have an interesting range of tips and suggestions.

There is so much I'd like to share with you that I've decided to build several travelogues....(Well, so much for the travelogues! Bad News: Since the "Relaunch" travelogue restrictions, I'm having a "re-think" on that idea. Good News There are so many new locations that I'm able to place most of the travelogue info where it belongs! Here are the links to those pages that I have to offer. This is by no means a complete list of all the places that may be of interest while considering a visit to San Diego, simply the pages I have to offer that may expand the possibilities of your visit:)

San Diego City Links:

Lincoln Acres
National City
San Marcos
Santa Ysabel

Out of the County of San Diego. Out of the State of California. Out of the Country of the U.S.A., but close enough for a day trip:

Rosarito Beach

Also, I've tried to include appropiate links in all tips that qualify, in hopes that it will direct the reader to another place that will give added information for those who are interested in knowing more.

Basic Facts:

San Diego, situated at the southern end of the state of California and is the state's second largest city.

Area: 330 sq. miles (855 sq. km)

The City of San Diego has the sixth largest population of all cities in the U.S.

Population: 1.3 million

San Diego County is the second most populous of California's fifty-eight counties.

San Diego County ranks sixteenth in population of all metropolitan areas in the U.S.A.

Many people have written to ask about re-locating to San Diego and the first bits of info I send their way are a couple of web links that will give an everyday view of the cultural climate in San Diego at any particular time. Visitors may find this interesting as well:

Union-Tribune is the website for the San Diego Union/Tribune, the major newspaper for all of San Diego County.

The Reader
The website to a weekly magazine that began life as a 1960's style, free press and over the years has matured into an interesting and reliable resource.

Each of these sites include classified ads for apartment rentals and home sales, restaurant reviews, tourist attractions and especially useful, events scheduled in the County of San Diego that may be occuring during a planned visit.

Note: San Diego City Neighborhoods

So many people ask about neighborhoods of San Diego because they are planning to move into the area. To get a full view perspective of the neighborhoods of San Diego take a look at these Neighborhood Maps.

Also, I've decided to add tips, in the "General Tips" section about various neighborhoods in the city of San Diego that don't have their own VT page as Hillcrest and La Jolla have. I'll try to give a general idea of the place as home and what may attract a visitor to the area.

Completed Are:
Adams Avenue Antique Row
Kensington Park
Normal Heights

University Heights
El Cajon Boulevard
University Avenue
North Park

• Pros:Friendly people, mild weather and plenty to do!
  • Cons:Too much to do, not enough time.
  • In a nutshell:America's Finest City
  • Last visit to San Diego: Aug 2014
  • Intro Updated Aug 1, 2014

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Always lots to explore on your SD page. You are the master of the city. Maybe YOU should write a book!? :-)

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Thanks for the compliment Janet. I think I'm more of a reader than a writer.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
      12 hours ago

Enjoyed nosing around your SD page again. Sent a link to Jazz Club to Dutch. He said he's been there and it's right around the corner from his old apt. on Maple. He promised we'd stop there on my next visit. :-)

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:19 AM

Nice shopping and night life tips. Groce's sounds like my kind of place.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:06 AM

So many great things to do in San Diego, seems you can never get bored. Thanks for the information!

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:35 AM

Nice to have that pedicab option for transportation. I like to support a green way of transport.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Yes, I'm glad they are still around. There was a big scandal some time ago because they were pretty erratic. Since they've been regulated and the complaints & accidents have subsided.

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:19 AM

Great idea to give tips on the different neighborhoods!

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Thanks John! San Diego is a huge city and many of the neighbourhoods, like La Jolla seem as if they are independent cities. Most of them have something to offer.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Thanks for all the restaurant reviews. Some great options here!

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Hi Linda! I'm finally getting around to reading your San Diego page. Great job! Enjoyed the local customs. Will be back soon to read more.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Again a nice set of updates and new tips. "Perennially Under Construction" is a fitting description for this page.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:54 AM

LOL! I wrote, "Perennially Under Construction" in 2002. I had no idea that 15 years later I would still be updating! I went to Comic-Con this year so have even more updates and add-ons, but haven't had the time to do it yet.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2015 at 1:18 PM

I see that David Bennett has been named the new director of the San Diego Opera. I don't remember much about him, but some of my friends say he is a good choice for the job.

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Matthew Garbutt at Summer Pops is my favorite conductor and he'll be here this summer. He is very fun to watch. :-)

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2015 at 4:12 AM

Lots of things to do out of town in your off the beaten track section. Something for everyone.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Actually most of these things are in the County of San Diego and some even in the City but not usually on the tourist route, but worth taking time for.

lmkluque Visits Here Frequently!

“Assume Good Intent”

Badges & Stats in San Diego

Have you been to San Diego?

Latest Activity in San Diego