"San Diego, California" Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego by lmkluque

San Diego Travel Guide: 3,233 reviews and 7,471 photos

AKA: America's Finest City

Perennially Under Construction

Welcome to my San Diego page.

Whether you are planning a trip to San Diego or just making a Virtual Tour, I have tried to include enough information about my hometown to give you a fair view of this lovely city.

Most of the sites in San Diego that a tourist might want to see or visit are just as often frequented by the residents. We have mild summers, on the hottest days, the ocean breeze serves as an air conditioner. Our winters are also mild and there are few rainy days. Snow would be headline news and was twice since I've lived here! Living in San Diego is almost like being on vacation all year long so, you'll most likely enjoy your stay, no matter when you arrive.

A strong Spanish / Mexican influence can be found in San Diego due to our proximity to Mexico and to our historical foundations.

Many of the tips offered here go beyond the boundaries of "Downtown San Diego," which means that walking from one place to another is not always an option. (You can’t walk from your downtown hotel to the nearest beach unless you've trained for it.) Public transportation is adequate, and it is possible to get around if you haven’t a car, but riding the bus or trolley is time consuming and exhausting. If at all possible rent a car, you’ll be able to have the time and energy to see more.

San Diego is Home to Comic-Con International, the best four-day party ever! Every year in July.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at lmkluque@VirtualTourist.com and I’ll do my best to help you with your plans.

I hope you enjoy your visit,
Linda

San Diego, City and County

The city of San Diego is in the county of San Diego which can make things confusing, because San Diegans refer to almost every place in the county as "in" San Diego.

La Jolla, is a community of the City of San Diego but Chula Vista is a city in the County of San Diego. I'll try to keep things as simple as I can.

For more information and an added perspective take a look at the San Diego page of VT member Spartan. He lives in the northern end of San Diego and I live in the southern end, between us you'll have an interesting range of tips and suggestions.

There is so much I'd like to share with you that I've decided to build several travelogues....(Well, so much for the travelogues! Bad News: Since the "Relaunch" travelogue restrictions, I'm having a "re-think" on that idea. Good News There are so many new locations that I'm able to place most of the travelogue info where it belongs! Here are the links to those pages that I have to offer. This is by no means a complete list of all the places that may be of interest while considering a visit to San Diego, simply the pages I have to offer that may expand the possibilities of your visit:)

San Diego City Links:

Oceanside
Ocotillo
San Marcos
Santa Ysabel

Out of the County of San Diego. Out of the State of California. Out of the Country of the U.S.A., but close enough for a day trip:

Mexico:

Tijuana
Rosarito Beach
Ensenada

Links
Also, I've tried to include appropiate links in all tips that qualify, in hopes that it will direct the reader to another place that will give added information for those who are interested in knowing more.

Basic Facts:

San Diego, situated at the southern end of the state of California and is the state's second largest city.

Area: 330 sq. miles (855 sq. km)

The City of San Diego has the sixth largest population of all cities in the U.S.

Population: 1.3 million

San Diego County is the second most populous of California's fifty-eight counties.

San Diego County ranks sixteenth in population of all metropolitan areas in the U.S.A.

Many people have written to ask about re-locating to San Diego and the first bits of info I send their way are a couple of web links that will give an everyday view of the cultural climate in San Diego at any particular time. Visitors may find this interesting as well:

Union-Tribune is the website for the San Diego Union/Tribune, the major newspaper for all of San Diego County.

The Reader
The website to a weekly magazine that began life as a 1960's style, free press and over the years has matured into an interesting and reliable resource.

Each of these sites include classified ads for apartment rentals and home sales, restaurant reviews, tourist attractions and especially useful, events scheduled in the County of San Diego that may be occuring during a planned visit.

Note: San Diego City Neighborhoods

So many people ask about neighborhoods of San Diego because they are planning to move into the area. To get a full view perspective of the neighborhoods of San Diego take a look at these Neighborhood Maps.

Also, I've decided to add tips, in the "General Tips" section about various neighborhoods in the city of San Diego that don't have their own VT page as Hillcrest and La Jolla have. I'll try to give a general idea of the place as home and what may attract a visitor to the area.

Completed Are:
Adams Avenue Antique Row
Kensington Park
Normal Heights

University Heights
El Cajon Boulevard
University Avenue
North Park

• Pros:Friendly people, mild weather and plenty to do!
  • Cons:Too much to do, not enough time.
  • In a nutshell:America's Finest City
  • Last visit to San Diego: Jun 2014
  • Intro Updated Jun 17, 2014

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Oh man, I would have had SO much fun with all those statues in Tuna Harbor Park. Lucky you, getting to live in San Diego!!

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:27 AM

Me again, coming back to look at some of your latest tips and updates.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2013 at 3:45 AM

i should have studied and restudied your SD pages before my impetuous extended stay last year,
    but no i have reason to visit again ;-)))

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
      Jan 14, 2013 at 7:08 AM

thanks for advice, hopefully in 2014 ;-)))

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
      Mar 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM

That sounds good! Usually the best time is mid-September. The prices are lowered by then and the big crowds are gone. Unless of course, you're coming for Comic-Con. LOL!!

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I’ve just been looking at some of your new tips and updates since Sept. 6th. Great that you are keeping this page up to date! Happy Holidays and all the best for 2013!

May 17, 2013 at 6:37 AM

It's good that you are back online again so you can keep your hometown page up to date.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
      May 17, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Thanks Don! It's about all I can do these days, tour my hometown. Oh, did you know that today is, "Ride your Bike Day?" When I heard, you were the first one I thought of! Seems SD is also pushing to make the city more bike friendly in several ways.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Excellent page of San Diego. Bring back fond memories. Glad to see that picture of Giesel Library at UCSD. Thanks again. SL Liew :)

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Me again, coming back to look at your updates and new tips (and new or updated travelogues) since last February. I have just read in a German railroad magazine that San Diego was the first American city to begin running a modern new light-rail system, in 1981. They say there are now more than 30 such systems in US cities.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Linda, love the Commic-Con tip and travelogues. Excellent photos and lively descriptions - seems like you had a fun day there.

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Your tips show a great diversity of things to do and see in San Diego. I didn’t know about the San Diego comic opera group, Lyric Opera, in North Park. Also I found it very interesting that there are plans to "make North Park a walkable community again".

• Anaid1's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM

You have the greatest site!! So much valuable information, we are leaving next week for San Diego, and you've helped us so much in our plans of what we want to see & do! keep up the great work!!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Excellent additions and page! Keep them coming! San Diego is fabulous!

lmkluque Used To Live Here!

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Badges & Stats in San Diego

Have you been to San Diego?

Latest Activity in San Diego