"San Diego, California" Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego by lmkluque
San Diego Travel Guide: 3,230 reviews and 7,449 photos
Perennially Under Construction
Welcome to my San Diego page.
Whether you are planning a trip to San Diego or just making a Virtual Tour, I have tried to include enough information about my hometown to give you a fair view of this lovely city.
Most of the sites in San Diego that a tourist might want to see or visit are just as often frequented by the residents. We have mild summers, on the hottest days, the ocean breeze serves as an air conditioner. Our winters are also mild and there are few rainy days. Snow would be headline news and was twice since I've lived here! Living in San Diego is almost like being on vacation all year long so, you'll most likely enjoy your stay, no matter when you arrive.
A strong Spanish / Mexican influence can be found in San Diego due to our proximity to Mexico and to our historical foundations.
Many of the tips offered here go beyond the boundaries of "Downtown San Diego," which means that walking from one place to another is not always an option. (You can’t walk from your downtown hotel to the nearest beach unless you've trained for it.) Public transportation is adequate, and it is possible to get around if you haven’t a car, but riding the bus or trolley is time consuming and exhausting. If at all possible rent a car, you’ll be able to have the time and energy to see more.
San Diego is Home to Comic-Con International, the best four-day party ever! Every year in July.
If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at lmkluque@VirtualTourist.com and I’ll do my best to help you with your plans.
I hope you enjoy your visit,
The city of San Diego is in the county of San Diego which can make things confusing, because San Diegans refer to almost every place in the county as "in" San Diego.
La Jolla, is a community of the City of San Diego but Chula Vista is a city in the County of San Diego. I'll try to keep things as simple as I can.
For more information and an added perspective take a look at the San Diego page of VT member Spartan. He lives in the northern end of San Diego and I live in the southern end, between us you'll have an interesting range of tips and suggestions.
There is so much I'd like to share with you that I've decided to build several travelogues....(Well, so much for the travelogues! Bad News: Since the "Relaunch" travelogue restrictions, I'm having a "re-think" on that idea. Good News There are so many new locations that I'm able to place most of the travelogue info where it belongs! Here are the links to those pages that I have to offer. This is by no means a complete list of all the places that may be of interest while considering a visit to San Diego, simply the pages I have to offer that may expand the possibilities of your visit:)
San Diego City Links:
Cabrillo National Monument
Old Town San Diego
Old Town San Diego State Historical Park
San Diego County Links:
Out of the County of San Diego. Out of the State of California. Out of the Country of the U.S.A., but close enough for a day trip:
Also, I've tried to include appropiate links in all tips that qualify, in hopes that it will direct the reader to another place that will give added information for those who are interested in knowing more.
San Diego, situated at the southern end of the state of California and is the state's second largest city.
Area: 330 sq. miles (855 sq. km)
The City of San Diego has the sixth largest population of all cities in the U.S.
Population: 1.3 million
San Diego County is the second most populous of California's fifty-eight counties.
San Diego County ranks sixteenth in population of all metropolitan areas in the U.S.A.
Many people have written to ask about re-locating to San Diego and the first bits of info I send their way are a couple of web links that will give an everyday view of the cultural climate in San Diego at any particular time. Visitors may find this interesting as well:
Union-Tribune is the website for the San Diego Union/Tribune, the major newspaper for all of San Diego County.
The website to a weekly magazine that began life as a 1960's style, free press and over the years has matured into an interesting and reliable resource.
Each of these sites include classified ads for apartment rentals and home sales, restaurant reviews, tourist attractions and especially useful, events scheduled in the County of San Diego that may be occuring during a planned visit.
Note: San Diego City Neighborhoods
So many people ask about neighborhoods of San Diego because they are planning to move into the area. To get a full view perspective of the neighborhoods of San Diego take a look at these Neighborhood Maps.
Also, I've decided to add tips, in the "General Tips" section about various neighborhoods in the city of San Diego that don't have their own VT page as Hillcrest and La Jolla have. I'll try to give a general idea of the place as home and what may attract a visitor to the area.
Adams Avenue Antique Row
El Cajon Boulevard
- Pros:Friendly people, mild weather and plenty to do!
- Cons:Too much to do, not enough time.
- In a nutshell:America's Finest City
I came here to check things out during their "soft opening," because I've been looking forward to seeing the new place.... more travel advice
This unassuming little museum is dedicated to the Chinese laborers, who helped build San Diego in the early wild west... more travel advice
- See All USA Olympic Training Center
- See All Chicano Park
- See All On Broadway
- See All Off Broadway
- See All El Cortez Hotel, An historic landmark.
- See All Cinderella Carriage Rides Downtown
- See All Beaches in the Area
- See All Mission Valley
- See All Even On A Cloudy Day!
- See All Beware of Forest Fires in San Diego!
- A Sample of Horton Plaza's Look!
Been to San Diego?Share your travels with the world!
lmkluque's Related Pages
San Diego Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Diego, California"
- "San Diego"
- "Jim_Eliason's San Diego Page"
- "Warm up to San Diego"
- "PAGE DEDICATED TO LINDA (lmkluque on VT)"
- "Something for everyone...San Diego"
- "Our San Diego Adventure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Diego
- Hotels in San Diego
- Transportation in San Diego
- Nightlife in San Diego
- Restaurants in San Diego
- Shopping in San Diego
- Warnings and Dangers in San Diego
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Diego
- 168 Reviews
- 534 Photos
- 716 Forum posts
- 227 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to San Diego?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Diego
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of lmkluque's San Diego travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Over 100 Restaurants to Choose From!"
- Wrote a Review A New & Cool, Old Fashion Jazz Club about Croce's Top Hat Bar and Grill in San Diego Nightlife
- updated a San Diego Travelogue "Views of Balboa Park"
- Commented on the San Diego travel guide
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 168 reviews, 536 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 168 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos, 1 travelogue
- National City Intro, 45 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 111 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues