"San Diego's Wild Animal and Wine Country" Rancho Bernardo by lmkluque

Rancho Bernardo Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 59 photos

Near S.D.Zoo's Safari Park and Two Wineries

Welcome to my Rancho Bernardo page,

It all begins with the earth, sunshine, rain and the grape.

California wines are rising in reputation every year. There are several wineries in the San Diego area and I'll tell you about two that are nice places to visit, to have a tour, to taste the wine and to have a picnic.

The San Diego Zoo's Safari Park (formally known as The Wild Animal Park) is in this area--actually in Escondido--and another reason for exploring northern San Diego.

I hope you enjoy your visit,
Linda

A View of Rancho Bernardo

This community is not really a tourist's paradise.

However, just down the road, you'll find the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park (formally known as the San Diego Wild Animal Park,) Orfila Winery and Rancho Bernardo Winery. I love spending an afternoon at a winery and thought you might like to know about these two while you visit San Diego.

• Pros:Quiet Country Living
  • Cons:Not near downtown SD
  • In a nutshell:Close enough for a daytrip.
  • Last visit to Rancho Bernardo: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Aug 10, 2013

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Another delightful addition to the VT travel world. I always appreciate your work. Lovely place and lovely page!

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Good info on the wineries.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
      Nov 4, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Thanks John! It's nice to have these wineries so close to home. Sort of. :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Lovely page Linda! Here, in Australia most people have a designated driver. If the husband drinks, then the next time it's the wifes turn. Not many people are stupid and drink drive anymore. Fines are huge and there are gaol terms!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I wonder how many visitors to the wineries follow your advice and actually have a designated driver. When I lived in the States hardly anybody did this. There were drunk drivers everywhere.

• ricky52's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2008 at 5:22 PM

great pages and tips. I take it, you like your wine? lol

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2003 at 5:15 AM

the concept of Picnic has been vanished in large cities like London, but we do take some time out in summer for a family picnic.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2003 at 12:08 PM

I see you had an unforgettable picnic (or better to say pre-picnic) there :-). I need a driver to get there with my addiction to California wines hehe.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2003 at 2:38 PM

Good to see you got your priorities right for the first order of business:-) Shame about the short picnic, you were really getting into it. I really like the sound of this day's outing.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2003 at 12:21 PM

This is where I lived Linda (on Escoba Place in RB). I was too young for the wine tasting though! Love the Wild Animal Park. Thanks.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2003 at 12:29 PM

Aaaah wine tasting! Sounds great to go here some day and taste the wines! I often drink a Californian wine at home :-)

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Badges & Stats in Rancho Bernardo

Have you been to Rancho Bernardo?

Latest Activity in Rancho Bernardo