"The Home of Crystal Pier" Pacific Beach by lmkluque
Pacific Beach Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 87 photos
Welcome to my Pacific Beach page,
Pacific Beach, known locally as "P.B.," is one of the most popular beaches in San Diego! It is a perfect spot for swimming, surfing, and fishing right off the Crystal Pier. The photo is taken from the south of the pier with a view north.
Beach lovers from all over the county come here all year round and there are some tourists too. Such popularity creates a maze of small traffic jams which makes it difficult to get into or out of P.B. on weekends and during the summer. There is a bit of public transportation, but it is the car that is most efficient when coming to this beach and parking is at a premium. Grand and Garnet are the main two east/west streets that will reach from the I-5 freeway to Ocean Boulevard which runs along the beach in many but, not all places.
A large part of P.B. is residential and most business in this area are geared for daily living needs. However, the few blocks west of the beach are full of restaurants, hotels and little shops that appeal to a tourist as well as local beach-goers.
Crystal Pier is not the longest pier in San Diego, I don't remember how long, but will try to find out.
The length of Crystal Pier is 872 feet. It's actually not the shortest either. The fishing Pier of Shelter Island is a mere 200 feet. The longest pier is Ocean Beach Pier at 1,971 feet.
On Crystal Pier, anyone can walk out to the end and drop down a fishing line. However, there are small cottages on both sides of the pier for rent and anyone wanting to live just above the ocean has the opportunity. Most of the time two or three nights stay is required at these cottages and on-pier parking is offered to cottage guests only.
Interstate 5 to Garnet Ave.; west to Mission Blvd.
Hope you enjoy your visit,
This photo is from a postcard by RoadRunner Card Co. in San Diego and shows what PB is like during the summer months. This is not my idea of fun, but for those of you who love mingling this is the place to go!
The ocean water is rarely ever really warm, sometimes by late August or early September it will be warmer. Any other time it may seem disappointingly cool when you dip your toes in, especially if you've experienced a smaller body of water like the Mediterranean Sea. However, even when the water seems a bit cool, once you jump in and get moving around it is pretty nice and refreshing. Of course during a really hot day, the cooler water is a true blessing!
- Pros:One of the most popular beaches in S.D.
- Cons:One of the most popular beaches in S.D.
- In a nutshell:If you love crowds and traffic, you'll love P.B.!
The French Gourmet is a popular catering company and this is it's "open-to-the-public" restaurant, bakery and grocery... more travel advice
Are you a Melon Head? Yes or No, the answer doesn't matter. This is a lively night spot. The focus is on music and the... more travel advice
- See All Mustange Convertable
- See All PB Residential @ The Beach!
- Nothing is Off the Beaten Path in PB!
- See All The Place To See!
lmkluque's Related Pages
Pacific Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Home of Crystal Pier"
- "The Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach"
- "Pacific Beach"
- "KristinaLMF's new Pacific Beach page"
- "Pacific Beach, California"
- "Pacific Beach"
- "pacific beach block party"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pacific Beach
- Hotels in Pacific Beach
- Transportation in Pacific Beach
- Nightlife in Pacific Beach
- Restaurants in Pacific Beach
- Shopping in Pacific Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Pacific Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pacific Beach
- 23 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Pacific Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pacific Beach
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Music lovers game!"
- Commented on one of lmkluque's Pacific Beach tips
- updated a Pacific Beach Travel Page "The Home of Crystal Pier"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pay Attention to All Posted Signs & Flags!"
- Wrote a Review Caterer/ Bakery/Restaurant in Pacific Beach Restaurants
Photos in Pacific BeachSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 172 reviews, 561 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 60 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 168 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos, 1 travelogue
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue