Old Town San Diego Tourist Trap Tips by lmkluque
Old Town San Diego Tourist Traps: 1 reviews and 1 photos
On the corner of San Diego Avenue and Twiggs Street, across the street from the Old Town San Diego State Historic Park, there is a Roman Catholic church which many visitors seem to mistake for the Mission Basilica San Diego De Alcala.
This church is the Immaculate Conception, a Parish of The Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego, California.
2540 San Diego Avenue
Of course it has a history. It was originally called the Old Adobe Church. The cornerstone was laid in 1851 and the completed church was dedicated on November 21, 1858, under the title of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
On July 10, 1868, almost a hundred years after Father Junipero Serra planted the first Cross on Presidio hill , the cornerstone for a brick church was laid to replace the Old Adobe Church. On July 22, 1917 Immaculate Conception Church was finally opened. The Church has been in continuous operation since that time.
Two of the original bells of the San Diego Mission still summon the faithful to worship, one in the Mission San Diego de Alcala and the other one, here in the bell tower of Immaculate Conception Church in Old Town.
Unique Suggestions: If it looks interesting, you may go in to look around. Of course, if there is a mass being said at the time, you should either sit respectfully in a pew and wait for the service to be over or leave and return after mass has ended, to look around.
Fun Alternatives: The place you are probably looking for is the Mission Basilica San Diego De Alcala.
The first Mission of the twenty-one Californian missions. It is located only a few miles from Old Town, at
10818 San Diego Mission Road.
More Reviews (27)
- Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala
- See All San Diego Trolley
- Old Town San Diego
- Old Town Closes Up Early But...
- See All Only Time For One Shop
lmkluque's Related Pages
Old Town San Diego Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where It All Began"
- "Quick trip to Old Town and surrounding Areas"
- "Old Town San Diego Historic Park"
- "Where San Diego was Founded"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Old Town San Diego
- Hotels in Old Town San Diego
- Transportation in Old Town San Diego
- Nightlife in Old Town San Diego
- Restaurants in Old Town San Diego
- Shopping in Old Town San Diego
- Warnings and Dangers in Old Town San Diego
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Old Town San Diego
- 28 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Old Town San Diego?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Old Town San Diego
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- updated a Old Town San Diego Travel Page "Where It All Began"
- Commented on one of lmkluque's Old Town San Diego tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Old Town S.D. State Historical Park!"
- Wrote a Review Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala in Old Town San Diego Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 179 reviews, 593 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 65 reviews, 221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 65 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 171 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue