Old Town San Diego Favorite Tips by lmkluque
Old Town San Diego Favorites: 2 reviews and 6 photos
Favorite thing: What made this section of San Diego so attractive to the first inhabitants and later, to the Spanish settlers was the San Diego River that flowed by. These days the only evidence of the San Diego River in this area, full of roads and freeways, is the flooding that happens every time it rains for more than a day.
After a fire in, 1872, which destroyed most of the area of Old Town San Diego, the move west to the harbor was complete, leaving Old Town abandoned as a town.
However, much of the residential section remained here and it wasn't until the late 1960's when the State of Califronia claimed a portion of this area and turned it into a State Historic Park.
Today it is apparent that Old Town has been revitalized. Look up in the hills and see some of the lovely homes or take a drive past the Presidio into the neighborhoods and see the luxury.
Aside from Old Town San Diego State Historic Park, San Diego Avenue and Congress Street are the focal points of Old Town that attract the touist. These streets are full of restaurants, bars, museums and plenty of shops. One of the most popular is the shop filled with Mexican type pottery.
Fondest memory: There are plenty of shops in Old Town and the inventory of these pottery shops reminds me of Tijuana. Especially because I recognize the many years worth of shopping history found here as well as the current craze.
More Reviews (25)
- See All San Diego Trolley
- Old Town Closes Up Early But...
- See All Only Time For One Shop
- See All Number One Tequileria!
lmkluque's Related Pages
Old Town San Diego Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where It All Began"
- "Quick trip to Old Town and surrounding Areas"
- "Old Town San Diego Historic Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Old Town San Diego
- Hotels in Old Town San Diego
- Transportation in Old Town San Diego
- Nightlife in Old Town San Diego
- Restaurants in Old Town San Diego
- Shopping in Old Town San Diego
- Warnings and Dangers in Old Town San Diego
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cuba Hotels
- Tsitsikammabos en Seekus Nasionale Park Hotels
- Nepean Island Hotels
- Gay Hotels
Badges & Stats in Old Town San Diego
- 26 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Old Town San Diego?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Old Town San Diego
Photos in Old Town San DiegoSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 153 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 54 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 105 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos