"Where It All Began" Old Town San Diego by lmkluque
Old Town San Diego Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 156 photos
Welcome to my Old Town San Diego page,
Old Town San Diego, California's oldest settlement, by July 1769, became the first permanent Spanish settlement at the Presidio. Six years later, Father Junipero Serra founded Mission San Diego, first of twenty-one Franciscan missions along the coast of California. The missionaries moved the mission on higher ground up the San Diego River Valley, where it stands today and is included on my Old Town San Diego State Historical Park page.
Alonzo Horton, sold tracts of land down by the harbor, southwest of Old Town around 1857. However, it wasn't until after the 1872 fire which destroyed many of the buildings in Old Town that the migration to the harbor area left Old Town in an abandoned state.
The area known as Old Town remained and evolved, mostly residentual, but lost most of it's glory in the abandonment as the center of the city. Eventually Old Town San Diego State Historical Park was established in Old Town San Diego and with it the surrounding area has became what you see today, a recreation of the early Mexican-American period between, 1821-1872.
Most of the historic buildings, which house museums, shops and restaurants are located in the State Park area, however, outside of the Park the streets are full of things to see and do and can be interesting for tourists, history buffs and those of us who love to dine in the great restaruants.
Most of the architecture is Mexican pueblo in style and blends so well with the buildings in the State Historical Park so that it is difficult to seperate the two.
I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
- Pros:Full of history. Festive. Fun.
- Cons:A Tourist Haven
- In a nutshell:Fun and Usually Crowded!
The first of the famed Twenty-One Missions built along the California coastal route running south to north from San... more travel advice
What made this section of San Diego so attractive to the first inhabitants and later, to the Spanish settlers was the... more travel advice
lmkluque's Related Pages
Old Town San Diego Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where It All Began"
- "Quick trip to Old Town and surrounding Areas"
- "Old Town San Diego Historic Park"
- "Where San Diego was Founded"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Old Town San Diego
- Hotels in Old Town San Diego
- Transportation in Old Town San Diego
- Nightlife in Old Town San Diego
- Restaurants in Old Town San Diego
- Shopping in Old Town San Diego
- Warnings and Dangers in Old Town San Diego
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Old Town San Diego
- 27 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Old Town San Diego?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Old Town San Diego
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What have you used your..."
- Commented on one of lmkluque's Old Town San Diego tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Old Town S.D. State Historical Park!"
- Wrote a Review Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala in Old Town San Diego Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Old Town San Diego Travel Page "Where It All Began"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 168 reviews, 536 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 168 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos, 1 travelogue
- National City Intro, 45 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 111 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues