"Where It All Began" Old Town San Diego by lmkluque

Old Town San Diego Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 156 photos

Where it all Began

Welcome to my Old Town San Diego page,

Old Town San Diego, California's oldest settlement, by July 1769, became the first permanent Spanish settlement at the Presidio. Six years later, Father Junipero Serra founded Mission San Diego, first of twenty-one Franciscan missions along the coast of California. The missionaries moved the mission on higher ground up the San Diego River Valley, where it stands today and is included on my Old Town San Diego State Historical Park page.

Alonzo Horton, sold tracts of land down by the harbor, southwest of Old Town around 1857. However, it wasn't until after the 1872 fire which destroyed many of the buildings in Old Town that the migration to the harbor area left Old Town in an abandoned state.

The area known as Old Town remained and evolved, mostly residentual, but lost most of it's glory in the abandonment as the center of the city. Eventually Old Town San Diego State Historical Park was established in Old Town San Diego and with it the surrounding area has became what you see today, a recreation of the early Mexican-American period between, 1821-1872.

Most of the historic buildings, which house museums, shops and restaurants are located in the State Park area, however, outside of the Park the streets are full of things to see and do and can be interesting for tourists, history buffs and those of us who love to dine in the great restaruants.

Most of the architecture is Mexican pueblo in style and blends so well with the buildings in the State Historical Park so that it is difficult to seperate the two.

I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
Linda

• Pros:Full of history. Festive. Fun.
  • Cons:A Tourist Haven
  • In a nutshell:Fun and Usually Crowded!
  • Last visit to Old Town San Diego: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Me again, coming back to look at some of your updates from the last year and a half. Good that you are keeping all these pages up to date!

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Great Page Linda - great coverage and detail. thanks for sharing.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Lovely page Linda. It sounds a nice place to visit.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
      Nov 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Thanks Dee, I do need to get a fresh batch of photos since so many of these have shrunk during the revamps! :-)

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I'm glad they have chosen to revitalize this area, looks fun and interesting. So long since ive been to san diego

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2012 at 6:14 AM

I’m glad to learn that Old Town has been revitalized. I’ve never heard the expression June Gloom before, but I was just telling one of my classes about the boring weather up in Berkeley, not only in June but most of the year. We had high overcast nearly every morning, but then between 10 and 11 it broke up and we had sun for the rest of the day. This was especially boring for me because a small (very small) part of my job was to read the weather forecast at the end of the evening news and it was nearly always the same except for the smog levels going up or down slightly.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 8:06 AM

Bring back fond memories of San Diego. Excellent restaurant tips. Enjoyed the detailed historical information of Old Town. SL :)

• May 4, 2007 at 7:52 AM

Casa Guadalajara has the rudest staff. Service was awful. I talked to the mgr, Christy, and she never came over to apologize to the people in our party (only 6 of us). None of us will ever go again! Food was not good anyways.

• jenn_d's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 11:15 AM

We'll be in town early next week for Spring Break. We are staying by Sea World though, and friends told us to check out Old Town...naturally I had to see what you had to say about it. Virgin Margaritas for Me this time around!

• Nov 15, 2006 at 6:16 AM

The location of this hotel to me was the biggest plus. It definitely was a no-frills hotel but certainly did the job for sleeping arrangements while enjoying the sites of Old Town. WesternInn.com

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2006 at 7:56 AM

It does seem an odd decision - I 've always enjoyed spending time (and money)at the Bazaar del Mundo when I've been in San Diego. I do like the sound of the Living Room cafes. leyle

lmkluque Visits Here Frequently!

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Badges & Stats in Old Town San Diego

Have you been to Old Town San Diego?