Oceanside Restaurant Tips by lmkluque
Oceanside Restaurants: 68 reviews and 85 photos
Rockin' Baja Lobster
Barry, "Spartan" suggested this for our VT Meeting. What a great choice it was! While waiting for the others to arrive, we were given red & green chips and salsa to snack on. Most of us ordered Margaritas. The patio overlooked the Marina and the view only needed a colorful sunset. The sunset did come and many photos were taken of it.
Rockin Baja Lobster's first location was in Bonita, an area of Chula Vista. It was originally known as the "Old Bonita Store" a restarurant that replaced a store. It was family owned and the family could always be seen greeting new customers. I had lunch there quite often in those days.
The family decided to bring "Lobster Puerto Nuevo" to their Chula Vista restaurant in the early 1980's and eventually changed the whole place to "Rockin Baja Lobster." I think the Oceanside location was the first added to what is now six restaurants from Chula Vista to Newport Beach.
Lobster Puerto Nuevo is a style that was originally sold in the little fishing village of Puerto Nuevo, Mexico, about forty or fifty years ago. People would drive south from San Diego or Tijuana, Mexico to this village stop at any one of the small homes and order Lobster. It was served with frijoles and tortillas. The lobster was hot and deliciously tender. In fact, even the lobster served in five-star restaurants (that I have been) is not as tender as in Puerto Nuevo. So, the owners of Rockin Baja Lobster brought this favored dish up
Favorite Dish: Buckets of seafood, chicken or beef were served with frijoles, rice, tortillas and as many trips as you'd like to the salsa bar. It was strange eating out of a bucket for some of us, but there were no complaints and the chattering around the table fell silent as we ate the delicious food.
The price of a "Bucket" starts around $16.99 and moves up from there. However, there are other choices on the menu and some are priced lower.
Address: %258 Harbor Drive South%s*
Comparison: about average
Directions: I-5 and the Harbor Drive Exit (near Camp Pendleton)...go west on Harbor Drive and then make a left onto Harbor Drive South
Phone: (760) 967-6199
More Reviews (6)
lmkluque's Related Pages
Oceanside Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Oceanside Revisited~"
- "Let's meet in Oceanside again :-)))"
- "A day in Oceanside"
- "Oceanside - California"
- "VT welcomes Matt and Ursula to Oceanside"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oceanside
- Hotels in Oceanside
- Transportation in Oceanside
- Nightlife in Oceanside
- Restaurants in Oceanside
- Shopping in Oceanside
- Warnings and Dangers in Oceanside
- See All...
Explore the World
- Stamford Bridge Hotels
- Los Angeles
- Berrechid Hotels
- Amritsar Hotels
- Kløfta Hotels
Badges & Stats in Oceanside
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Oceanside?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oceanside
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How the 19th century lived"
- Commented on one of lmkluque's Oceanside tips
- updated a Oceanside Travel Page "Join Us for an Oceanside VT Meeting 2003"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mexican Seafood"
- Wrote a Review Oceanside Boat Rentals about Water Sports in Oceanside Sports & Outdoors
Photos in OceansideSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 164 reviews, 516 photos, 11 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 167 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 62 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 49 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- National City Intro, 45 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 111 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Oceanside hotel reviews
- Oceanside Marina Suites
- 250 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Marina del Mar Condos
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 12, 2013
- Blue Whale Resort
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2013
- Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort
- 253 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- North Coast Village
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Aquamarine Villas
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Comfort Suites Marina
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Best Western Oceanside Inn
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Mission San Luis Rey Retreat
- 1 Review & Opinion