Ocean Beach Off The Beaten Path Tips by lmkluque
Ocean Beach Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 8 photos
Old Cabrillo Lighthouse at the Monument.
Cabrillo National Monument is about five miles from OB. As the "birth" place of the city we now know as San Diego, it is an historical site and worth a visit. However, there is more than history up here and some of the most awesome aspects of visiting this National Monument are the views. View of the great Pacific Ocean, views of the San Diego Bay and all it's activity, views of the City of San Diego and you can see all the way to the mountains.
Before reaching Cabrillo N.M. you will pass Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery and the turn off to the tide pools of Point Loma which is an exciting sight, especially for children who love sea animals.
Granted, the cemetery may not be of interest unless you have a loved one buried there, are in the US Military or are a history buff and want to see the "old" section which adds dimension to the study of San Diego history .
If your make the trip up, be sure to see the Old Lighthouse and of course, the views!
1800 Cabrillo Memorial Drive, San Diego, CA.
Phone: (619) 222-8211
The City of San Diego from the Bridge.
While visiting OB for a few days or a week there are other places you might want to explore.
Starting with Mexico. Tijuana, Mexico is about 22 miles south of OB and can be traveled by public transportation. However, the International Youth Hostel offers a shuttle to Tijuana, so staying there may be an option.
Next, San Diego which is about six and a half miles southeast and Old Town San Diego which includes Old Town San Diego State Historic Park is a bit nearer, almost four miles from OB where you can see examples of the life of the early settlers to San Diego.
Two and a half miles north of Ocean Beach is Mission Beach, one of the more popular beach and bay areas with an amusement park featuring an old wooden rollercoaster.
Pacific Beach four miles from OB, is the most popular and populated beach in San Diego. It too is a surfing beach and crowded during the summer /holidays.
Next is La Jolla which is about seven miles north of OB. The Jewel of San Diego, it offers world class shopping, dining and several choices of beach terrain, cliffs, coves and the sandy stretch of La Jolla Shores, an UnderWater Amusement Park and water sports of all kinds.
Past Torrey Pines State Park & Beach, is the city of Del Mar which is almost twenty miles north of OB. This seaside resort city is popular, especially in the summer when it hosts the SD County Fair and the Del Mar Racetrack opens to the world of horse racing.
More Reviews (51)
- See All The Community of OB
- See All Antiques / Collectibles
- See All Ocean Beach Weekends!
- You Don't Have To Bring It All
- See All Weekends Are An Event!!
- See All Think Outside the Box!
lmkluque's Related Pages
Ocean Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ocean Beach AKA O.B.!!"
- "Ocean Beach - Eclectic Seaside Town"
- "Ocean Beach- San Diego CA"
- "Ocean Beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ocean Beach
- Hotels in Ocean Beach
- Transportation in Ocean Beach
- Nightlife in Ocean Beach
- Restaurants in Ocean Beach
- Shopping in Ocean Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Ocean Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ocean Beach
- 53 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Ocean Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ocean Beach
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 176 reviews, 567 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 65 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 171 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue