"A Little Southern California Beach Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Beach by lmkluque
Manhattan Beach Travel Guide: 352 reviews and 782 photos
First Annual Manhattan Beach VT Weekender 1-3 August 2003
Welcome to my Manhattan Beach page,
Until the Manhattan Beach VT Weekender, this city was nothing more to me than the name of a beach town in L.A. that I had heard about, but hadn't seen.
While planning the trip up, I wondered why I had never at least driven through this city. When I took the exit off the freeway to get to Manhattan Beach, it became apparent why I hadn't been there before. The location happened to be serveral miles from the freeway through streets clogged with typical L.A. / beach city traffic. (After living in Los Angeles several years I had enough traffic experience to last me a lifetime and I avoid it at all costs.) It didn't help that the way I chose to enter Manhattan Beach was not the most efficient, which caused more dirving time through more clogged streets than necessary.
When I found the perfect parking space as soon as I located the restaurant where the VT Meeting would be held, I pulled right in and parked. Walking is normally difficult for me and usually a slow process, add to that the fact that Manhattan Beach is not on flat land you can imagine that I saw just a small area of the town. This is what I share with you.
Update: "Ten Years After!
So, a revisit after ten years. In the general sense, not much has changed, except that the Big Volleyball Tournament is even bigger. Who would guess that the next time I visited Manhattan Beach that it would again be the Manhattan Beach Open? What a crowd!
I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
The offices of VT are located near and it was a generous gift to us, VT Members, that VT Staff sponsored this Member Weekender the first weekend in August 2003
Hopefully this will be an annual event for VT and if you have the wherewithall to be in the Los Angeles area at the time of the next event, make every effort to take part. You will enjoy meeting VT Staff and VT Members.
The Warmest Of Greetings!
The greetings of each VT Staff Member was warm, friendly and very welcoming, not just to me, but to everyone who arrived.
The top room of Beaches Restaurant was reserved for us and VT Staff filled the room with ballons in white, blue and green--VT's colors. Stephanie made posters full of VT photos and many posters included questions to test our VT knowledge. It was fun trying to answer them.
Update: "Ten Years After!
This time the VT HQ was located in a nice, new building in El Segundo. I went up for a tour and was really impressed. I think all the VT Staff is new, but nice and seem really happy to work for us at VT!
There was supposed to be a group of us going to Manhattan Beach but in the end it was only me. Though this is a real city with something on the lines of 36,000 so it's smallish, but the only part I was interested in was Manhattan Beach Boulevard to the Beach and a few streets north and south of it. This is that area that a tourist would want to know about and where most of the action can be found. In the photo it looks as if people are trying to leave the area, but not so, they are circulating the block to find parking. It's a mad house during the Volleyball Tournament, so you might time your visit before or after this annual event.
To Be Continued...
- Pros:Lovely Beach Town
- Cons:Too much traffic!
- In a nutshell:Once there, it's quite a pleasant place to stay!
This Ocean Express is a private bus company that offers rides to Manhattan Beach from anyone of thirteen hotels located... more travel advice
Even in winter, it is possible to wear beach attire most days. However, after the sun goes down, you will most likely... more travel advice
- See All Too Close to Los Angeles!
- See All A Traveler's Dream Spot.
- Visit VT Offices & Staff
- Beach Events Celebrated Here!
- Energizing Nightlife!
lmkluque's Related Pages
Manhattan Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Little Southern California Beach Town"
- "Manhattan Beach is the Beach for Sun Lovers.."
- "Sharrie's Manhattan Beach Man of The Year"
- "2nd Anual VT meeting"
- "Manhattan Beach - Home of Beach Volleyball"
- "It is time for some real fun on Manhattan Beach"
- "Manhattan Beach Beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manhattan Beach
- Hotels in Manhattan Beach
- Transportation in Manhattan Beach
- Nightlife in Manhattan Beach
- Restaurants in Manhattan Beach
- Shopping in Manhattan Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Manhattan Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manhattan Beach
- 21 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Manhattan Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manhattan Beach
Photos in Manhattan BeachSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 176 reviews, 576 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 64 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 65 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 171 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue