Los Angeles Nightlife Tips by lmkluque
Los Angeles Nightlife: 226 reviews and 163 photos
When I lived here it was the late 60's to the early 70's and Whisky-A-Go-Go was one of the hottest places in L.A.
A steak dinner cost less than $4.00 and a cocktail was $1.75! They still offer food, bar type items but the prices are reasonable.
Alice Cooper and Led Zeppelin were equally unknown at the time but it seems that playing at Whisky-A-Go-Go boosted the credibility and the career. Most of the big name groups/singers have appeared on stage at Whisky-A-Go-Go up to the present time.
The only name I recognize in the present schedule is Aerosmith. They played here back in 1973 and now they will play this year. (2014)
Check out their website for the dates you'll be in town.
Dress Code: Trendy and Stylish.
Address: 8901 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 9006
Directions: On the Corner of W. Sunset Blvd and San Vicente
Phone: (310) 652-4202
Theme: Live Music
There are people who enjoy visiting cemeteries while traveling and this is one that some people might like to know about. This was originally called, "Hollywood Memorial Park Cemetery" from 1899 and most of the interred are pioneers of the Film Industry. The cemetery was miss managed after a time and fell into disrepair. A hundred years later in 1998 the Cemetery was bought and renamed Hollywood Forever. Since then there has been effort to restore the original glory.
A most unusual way to keep Hollywood Forever viable and renowned is to offer Movies at the Cemetery. Since 2002, Cinespia , screened films are shown on weekends during the summer and on holidays. Against the white marble of the Cathedral Mausoleum the films are shown after sundown. People crowd the area with their blankets and picnic baskets scattered on the lawn to enjoy a movie. It's quite popular so buy your tickets on line, about two or three weeks before your visit or you'll miss the chance.
Dress Code: SDress code is summer casual, but remember to bring jackets to keep warm after sundown.
Address: 6000 Santa Monica Boulevard
Directions: In Hollywood
Phone: (323) 469-1181
Originally, in 1927, it opened as Grauman's Chinese Theatre. The owners were Sid Grauman, Mary Picford and Douglas Fairbanks.
In 1973 the name was changed by new owners, to Mann's Chinese Theatre. An unfortunate choice in my opinion!
On Jan 11, 2000, it was announced that the entire Mann's theatre chain, including GRAUMAN'S CHINESE Theatre, has been purchased by a partnership of Warner Bros and Paramount Studios. Thankfully these people have restored the original name! Not only can you watch a film at this theater you can also have a tour.
Grauman's Chinese Theatre has been surrounded by the Kodak Theatre the new permanent location for the Academy Awards, a grand ballroom for such events as the post-Academy Awards parties. Also in this new complex you will find restaruants, nightclubs, even a luxury hotel and most interesting, a total renovation to restore Grauman's Chinese Theatre to it's original glory!
Again a name change for this most famous theater. It is now the TCL Chinese Theatre. The restoration is beautiful and the place is as popular as ever.
Nightlife in Los Angeles is always exciting. The only problem is that the most popular places keep changing! It's a $$$Fad$$$ kind of thing. Once a place becomes fashionable, everyone wants to go there, 'to mingle with the Beautiful People.'
Of course, the Beautiful People don't want to mingle with Everyone--so, they move on and meet at the next place, which becomes the newest 'Hot Spot' in town,--until Everyone starts to go there too. On and on it goes.
Dress Code: In most of California, the dress code is non-existent, but at the more expensive and popular places the dress code is $$$Fashionably Trendy$$$ if you know what I mean.
At the Hottest Spots, you may not be allowed to enter unless you have the right look.
Address: 6925 Hollywood Boulevard.
Directions: Hollywood Blvd. and Highland
Phone: (213) 464-8111
More Reviews (32)
- See All Public Transportaion & the Disabled..
- See All Standing Together
- See All It's All New To Me
- See All At the Luxe Rodeo Hotel
- See All Disneyland is NOT in Los Angeles
lmkluque's Related Pages
Los Angeles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles""
- "Getting at the Heart of L.A."
- "Coming to LA, see what all of SoCal has to offer!"
- "Los Angeles"
- "My Hometown: Los Angeles"
- "Gloss Angeles"
- "City of the Angels"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Los Angeles
- Hotels in Los Angeles
- Transportation in Los Angeles
- Nightlife in Los Angeles
- Restaurants in Los Angeles
- Shopping in Los Angeles
- Warnings and Dangers in Los Angeles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Los Angeles
- 35 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 339 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Los Angeles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Angeles
- Posted in Travel San Diego Forum "Re: Japanese Members for Best of..."
- Commented on one of lmkluque's Los Angeles tips
- Wrote a Review Public Transportaion & the Disabled.. about Metro in Los Angeles Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Public Transportaion & the Disabled.."
- updated a Los Angeles Travel Page "Stepping Out of Cyberspace!!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 176 reviews, 576 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 64 reviews, 216 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 65 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 171 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (175)
- Universal Studios- 121 Reviews, 181 Photos
- Hollywood Walk of Fame- 61 Reviews, 97 Photos
- Olvera Street- 61 Reviews, 152 Photos
- Disneyland- 61 Reviews, 82 Photos
- Venice Beach- 59 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Star's Homes- 16 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Griffith Park Observatory- 25 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Warner Bros Studio Tour- 18 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Hollywood Sign- 34 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Chinatown- 18 Reviews, 43 Photos
See All Los Angeles Things to Do