"La Mesa Seems to Have a Split-Personality!" La Mesa by lmkluque

La Mesa Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 86 photos

Under Construction

Welcome to my La Mesa page,

At the moment I am setting up to build this page, so things will change as I progress.

La Mesa is not a tourist destination but it seems to have things to offer and I'm about to discover what I think is worth knowing about or doing here so I can share it with you.

The split-personality I mention in the title is purely my own impression, nothing I've ever heard anyone say or imply.

Of course I've been to La Mesa a lot of times but each time it was point to point, I mean simply Just to arrive in a specific place rather then learn about the area in any way. I've heard people mention La Mesa under various situations so I've gotten a couple of diverse impressions.

One. La Mesa in many ways seems to be an example of "small town USA." Has a strong sense of community and at times even seemed to have red-neck qualities. Not in the negative sense, some might think. More in the rough cowboy town sense. If you see what I mean?

Two. La Mesa in other moments seems to be an up & coming town, offering the newest and best of things.

I intend to discover the reason for my impressions and in doing so hope to build a page that might inspire you to come for a visit.

So far, I've only had one pass through part of the Village section of La Mesa and don't feel familiar enough yet. I was expecting one main downtown street. Instead I found several that seem to be side streets off Spring Street. This is a different set-up from what I'm used to so I'll have to go back a few more times.

Keep in mind that, as with most "Main Street USA's," The "Village" of La Mesa is the historical center and the whole town spreads out from here.

The homes and buildings found in and around this section of town will be some of the oldest established in the early days. Of course there are plenty of newer buildings but here you'll also find some of the oldest.

I'll mention here that VT Member, Yaqui has written about some of these older buildings on her La Mesa page. You might take a look if this aspect interests you.

Hope you enjoy your visit,
Linda

Notice:

This photo is not of La Mesa. It is the main street of Chula Vista. My unexplored impressions of La Mesa reminds me of CV so I'll use this photo untill I get a replacement. Hope you won't mind.

Update:

Now, the photo you will see above is actually a view of one of La Mesa's downtown (Village) streets. I'm leaving, for a while, the photo of a Chula Vista downtown street as a comparison for my own purpose.

• Pros:Small Town with many community events.
  • Cons:Popular around here for shoppers.
  • In a nutshell:Worth a Trolley ride from San Diego
  • Last visit to La Mesa: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 12, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Hi, Linda! The town looks very neat and nice! Thanks for your story...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM

According to the list on your stats page, this is your second least popular page, so I thought I would come and give it a little boost. Good that the San Diego Trolley goes out to La Mesa, so people who go to the Oktoberfest can drink some beer and not have to drive home while under the influence.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Howdy Linda, wonderful page! Yum, the pizza and Mexican food sounds delightful! Thank you for adding me to your travels here.

lmkluque Visits Here Frequently!

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Badges & Stats in La Mesa

Have you been to La Mesa?

Latest Activity in La Mesa