"La Mesa Seems to Have a Split-Personality!" La Mesa by lmkluque
La Mesa Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 104 photos
Welcome to my La Mesa page,
At the moment I am setting up to build this page, so things will change as I progress.
La Mesa is not a tourist destination but it seems to have things to offer and I'm about to discover what I think is worth knowing about or doing here so I can share it with you.
The split-personality I mention in the title is purely my own impression, nothing I've ever heard anyone say or imply.
Of course I've been to La Mesa a lot of times but each time it was point to point, I mean simply Just to arrive in a specific place rather then learn about the area in any way. I've heard people mention La Mesa under various situations so I've gotten a couple of diverse impressions.
One. La Mesa in many ways seems to be an example of "small town USA." Has a strong sense of community and at times even seemed to have red-neck qualities. Not in the negative sense, some might think. More in the rough cowboy town sense. If you see what I mean?
Two. La Mesa in other moments seems to be an up & coming town, offering the newest and best of things.
I intend to discover the reason for my impressions and in doing so hope to build a page that might inspire you to come for a visit.
So far, I've only had one pass through part of the Village section of La Mesa and don't feel familiar enough yet. I was expecting one main downtown street. Instead I found several that seem to be side streets off Spring Street. This is a different set-up from what I'm used to so I'll have to go back a few more times.
Keep in mind that, as with most "Main Street USA's," The "Village" of La Mesa is the historical center and the whole town spreads out from here.
The homes and buildings found in and around this section of town will be some of the oldest established in the early days. Of course there are plenty of newer buildings but here you'll also find some of the oldest.
I'll mention here that VT Member, Yaqui has written about some of these older buildings on her La Mesa page. You might take a look if this aspect interests you.
Hope you enjoy your visit,
This photo is not of La Mesa. It is the main street of Chula Vista. My unexplored impressions of La Mesa reminds me of CV so I'll use this photo untill I get a replacement. Hope you won't mind.
Now, the photo you will see above is actually a view of one of La Mesa's downtown (Village) streets. I'm leaving, for a while, the photo of a Chula Vista downtown street as a comparison for my own purpose.
- Pros:Small Town with many community events.
- Cons:Popular around here for shoppers.
- In a nutshell:Worth a Trolley ride from San Diego
Mt. Helix is a landmark located between La Mesa and El Cajon. At the top there is a park for all to enjoy. This park is... more travel advice
Going to the movies while on holiday is not the most usual thing, but there are times that it's really hot in La Mesa,... more travel advice
lmkluque's Related Pages
La Mesa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~La Mesa~"
- "La Mesa Seems to Have a Split-Personality!"
- "KristinaLMF's new La Mesa page"
- "Small Town Feel - La Mesa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Mesa
- Hotels in La Mesa
- Transportation in La Mesa
- Restaurants in La Mesa
- Shopping in La Mesa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Mesa
- 13 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to La Mesa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Mesa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 176 reviews, 567 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 65 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 171 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue