"La Jolla---The Jewel Of San Diego!" Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla by lmkluque
La Jolla Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 791 photos
Welcome to my La Jolla page,
La Jolla is pronounced "la hoya" and it is "The Jewel" of San Diego. The rich and famous stay, shop and play in La Jolla. Some of us not so rich and famous can play here too.
La Jolla, a community in the city of San Diego, seems to be a tourist attraction on it's own and I'd like to tell you a few of the reasons that is so.
La Jolla has seven miles of coast line and the character of this California coastal section changes dramatically from one place to another. Pristine shores of sand, rocky inlets and craggy cliffs, remote views of the ocean from lovely cliff top parks as well as an actual underground water park are just a few reasons La Jolla is so popular with beach goers and nature lovers. Speaking of nature lovers, there are miles of trails to reconnoiter and the Torrey Pine, the rarest pine tree in the world, is found here.
La Jolla, especially in the Village area, offers world class and very expensive hotels, restaurants, art galleries and shops. However, you get what you pay for and it is worth the price. If the price is too high, it is still possible to enjoy almost every luxury on a reduced budget. Have a cocktail instead of a meal at the best restaurants and hotels. Sip slowly and enjoy the atmosphere. As a rule, service providers are warm friendly and helpful to everyone. Of course, enjoying the galleries and window shopping costs only your time.
Education, Medicine, and Scientific Research is rampant in La Jolla and the smartest brains in the world feel at home here.
Secluded residential areas conceal some of the most beautiful homes imaginable and the only negative I can think of in La Jolla is the horrendous traffic on weekends and during summer that makes it so hard to get in and out of the Village or near the coastline.
I hope you enjoy your visit,
At the top of Mount Soledad, the highest point of La Jolla, a 360 degree view is possible and well worth a trip up there. Actually, the view is awesome any time, but best after a nice rain storm (winter) or during the Santa Ana winds (summer) when all the clouds, marine layer and Los Angeles' smog are blown away.
Sitting on one of these benches you can see a residential section down the hill, all the way to the ocean with panoramic views of the coastline.
On the west side of Mount Soledad, past the residential section, towards the south, is the downtown/village area of La Jolla. North of that is La Jolla Shores and it's mini-village. Further north is UCSD and an impressive collection of the scientific community--Scripps Institute of Oceanography, Salk Institute and various other innovative enterprises.
Didn't take my own advise about when to go to Mount Soledad, the coastal mist mutes the photo, but this is a view of the east side of La Jolla.
Not so long ago most of the east side was undeveloped. However everyone wants to live and work in La Jolla so, it keeps on spreading.
- Pros:World Class Luxury Resort Community in San Diego, a premier location for watersports activities and a great place to play.
- Cons:Many things are too expensive and the traffic getting in can be triring.
- In a nutshell:Visit during weekdays in winter time. There will be something here for you.
This is a "beach-bum-burger-joint. The perfect place to stop after spending time at the beach. It's popular with the... more travel advice
Fingerhut has been on the corner of Prospect Street and Ivanhoe Avenue for many many years and is a favored gallery in... more travel advice
- See All MCASD at La Jolla
- See All Five Diamonds in La Jolla
- See All New And Promising!
- See All Parking Problems
- See All Surfing!
lmkluque's Related Pages
La Jolla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Jolla---The Jewel Of San Diego!"
- "~La Jolla~"
- "The Brilliance of La Jolla"
- "La Jolla, the best place of San Diego"
- "Una Joya"
- ""The Jewel" of San Diego"
- "La Jolla...California Dreaming"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Jolla
- Hotels in La Jolla
- Transportation in La Jolla
- Nightlife in La Jolla
- Restaurants in La Jolla
- Shopping in La Jolla
- Warnings and Dangers in La Jolla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Jolla
- 55 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to La Jolla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Jolla
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of lmkluque's La Jolla tips
- updated a La Jolla Travel Page "La Jolla---The Jewel Of San Diego!"
- Commented on the La Jolla travel guide
- Wrote a Review At La Jolla Shores about Jeff's Burgers in La Jolla Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Under da Sea, Under da Sea...."
Photos in La JollaSee All Photos (112)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 176 reviews, 567 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 65 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 171 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue