"An Apple Pie Vacation in Julian" Top 5 Page for this destination Julian by lmkluque
Julian Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 150 photos
Welcome to my Julian page,
One of the best aspects of living in San Diego is the opportunity for mini-vacations. Instead of baking an Apple pie. Instead of going to the grocery store to buy an Apple pie. Instead of going to the local restaurant and ordering an Apple pie. I like to pile the kids in the car drive an hour through the outer reaches of San Diego and end up in Julian, a little mountain town, pick one of many places that serve the famous Julian Apple Pie and enjoy.
A town with wooden walk ways along the main street and cozy cafes offering home cooked meals and the best apple pie around. While in Julian, it's fun to walk through the shops, tour the mine, or just explore the area.
About an hours drive east of San Diego, at the crossroads of Highway 79 (north) and Highway 78 (west) you'll find Julian. An old mining town.
Julian has become a popular place, especially during the Apple Festival Days held in October, for San Diegans to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Once a quiet, old fashioned town, it has become ever more populated by those wanting to experience country living. It is still possible to see the quiet of this little town, by visiting during the week in the "off" season.
A view of Julian's main street from the Julian Hotel.
I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
WARNING: Today, 29 October 2003
Julian is surrounded by fire and is in grave danger of burning down completely. The forest in this area has already burned and Julian is next in the path of destruction.
Update: 5 December 2003
It took over a month but today the fires are 100% contained and Julian still stands!
This is a photo of the beach, which is located more than an hour's drive from Julian taken the same day Julian was threatened by the hungry flames. The smoke and ash filled sky gives evidence of the power of fire.
Smoke and Ash fill the sky as far away as to the Pacific Ocean!
- Pros:A world away from the big city.
- Cons:Too many people agree that it's a wonderful get-away spot.
- In a nutshell:Still worth the drive up!
Except in the case of lightening striking or power lines falling. To give you an idea how hellish forest fires are,... more travel advice
Lake Cuyamaca is located on Highway 79 in the Cleveland National Forest, on the way to Julian. It's a great place for... more travel advice
- Out of the Past!
- Every Nook and Cranny
- When The Sun Goes Down
Written Sep 24, 2012
Cleveland National Forest
Written Sep 24, 2012
On the Way to Julian
lmkluque's Related Pages
Julian Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "eMtnMan's Guide to Julian, California"
- "JULIAN, CALIFORNIA APPLE COUNTRY"
- "An Apple Pie Vacation in Julian"
- "Weekend Retreat"
- "Julian, California"
- "An Apple A Day...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Julian
- Hotels in Julian
- Transportation in Julian
- Nightlife in Julian
- Restaurants in Julian
- Shopping in Julian
- Warnings and Dangers in Julian
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Julian
- 12 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Julian?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Julian
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 153 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 46 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 54 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 105 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos