Del Mar Transportation Tips by lmkluque Top 5 Page for this destination
Del Mar Transportation: 8 reviews and 8 photos
One of the many views possible from the Coaster!
Don't you just hate it when the photo doesn't match the tip? Well, what if I told you the photo is typical of your view from the Coaster while cruising along the ocean? Would that help sooth your reaction?
Getting to and from Del Mar is possible by train. The Coaster runs from Oceanside to the Santa Fe Depot in downtown San Diego with stops at Oceanside, Carlsbad Village, Carlsbad Poinsettia, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Sorrento Valley, Old Town Transit Center, and Santa Fe Depot, downtown San Diego.
The Solana Beach is the station you'd use for Del Mar and it is a short distance by bus from there. Parking is free at the Solana Beach station so if you have your own car leave it there.
There is no service on Sunday, nor the holidays listed at their website, which are not really sight seeing holidays as most of those places are closed also.
A one-way ticket from Solana Beach to downtown San Diego is $4.75 and children 5 and under, ride free, when accompanied by a fare-paying passenger.
Phone: Toll Free: 1 (800) 262-7837
Bus Stop Sign At Del Mar
Aptly numbered, Route 101, this bus pretty much follows the Historic Highway 101 from Oceanside in the north to UTC, "University Town Center," at the south end. (UTC is a large and popular shopping center on the east side of La Jolla and a major transit center with buses reaching all points in San Diego County.)
Bus Route 308 leaves the Coaster Station in Solana Beach and has a stop at the Del Mar Race Track. It continues east and probably not useful to a visitor past the race track stop.
A useful number to keep handy is (619) 233-3004 which will provide route information from one place to another. The number provided below is for use in San Diego's North County area, in which Del Mar is located.
Phone: Toll Free: 1-800-266-6883
Historic Highway 101
As in most Californian cities, the best way of getting to and getting around Del Mar is by car.
The compact "village" section of Del Mar with it's many hotels, restaurants and shops is just a block from the beach. However, this is just a small part of Del Mar and staying within these boundries will be more expensive than staying in the surrounding neighborhoods.
Navigating through those other areas are more convenient if you have the use of a car. Not to mention that running through Del Mar is the "Historic, Highway 101" a coastal route reminiscent of days past as well as offering charming views.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (44)
- See All Day Trips!!
- See All Not THE Stratford Square!
- See All Stratford Inn / Stratford Square?
- See All No More Book Signings!
- Find Out What's Planned!
- See All Boogie-Boarding!
- See All Convenient & Costly
- See All Know Before You Go....
- See All Two And A Half Miles Of Del Mar Beach
- See All At L’Auberge Del Mar Resort and Spa
- See All An Unassuming Place to Gather!
- ...AAAAAnd They're Off!
lmkluque's Related Pages
Del Mar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Upscale beach town - a must see!"
- "Del Mar: Where the Surf Meets the Turf!!"
- "Del Mar"
- "Torrey Pines"
- "Yubert's Del Mar Page"
- "KristinaLMF's new Del Mar page"
- "brdwtchr's new Del Mar Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Del Mar
- Hotels in Del Mar
- Transportation in Del Mar
- Nightlife in Del Mar
- Restaurants in Del Mar
- Shopping in Del Mar
- Warnings and Dangers in Del Mar
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tempe Hotels
- Puerto de la Cruz Hotels
- Graterford Hotels
- Parkchester Hotels
- Le Petit-Paris
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
Badges & Stats in Del Mar
- 47 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Del Mar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Del Mar
Photos in Del MarSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 153 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 46 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 54 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 105 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos
Latest Del Mar hotel reviews
- Stratford Inn
- 219 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Les Artistes
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Clarion Carriage Del Mar Inn
- 190 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- L'Auberge Del Mar Resort And Spa
- 301 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Del Mar Motel on the Beach
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Wave Crest Del Mar
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013