"Del Mar: Where the Surf Meets the Turf!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar by lmkluque
Del Mar Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 247 photos
Welcome to my Del Mar page,
"Where the surf meets the turf in old Del Mar!" These are the lyrics from a song written about the Racetrack at Del Mar that Bing Crosby, I believe, made famous.
Del Mar is about twenty minutes north of San Diego and worth a day trip if you like craggy coast lines, posh resorts, designer class shopping or just wandering around beautiful areas.
Del Mar means, "of the sea." This name was given to the tent city established by Theodore Loop in the early 1880s. Del Mar was incorporated as an independent city in 1959.
Del Mar has a population of about 5,000 and comprises a two square mile strip of the coast. The main attractions in Del Mar are the beach, Del Mar Plaza, during the summer the San Diego County Fair and of course, the famous horse races are held at the well-known Del Mar Racetrack.
Del Mar is a small town north of downtown San Diego. It is a charming place and as with most charming places in the U.S.A. the prices for everything is a bit higher. Let that not deter you from a visit. Walking through the Del Mar Plaza is relaxing and there is a patio area at the top level, overlooking part of the Pacific Ocean's rugged coast line where it costs nothing to sit and enjoy a sunset or just a view of the ocean.
Official City of Del Mar website will give more info, especially about rules at the beach. Check it out before going as this city has very specific ideas of how their beach should be visited.:
Enjoy your visit,
The San Diego County Fairgrounds at Del Mar is also home to The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club and this adds a flavor of horses and gambling to the city as subtle as diamond studded horseshoe rings displayed in the local jewlery store, just waiting for the big winner to plunk down the cash for a souviner of the lucky day.
Of course, it's rarely the fans who are the big winners, it's the owners of the horse and the horse's jockey that makes the most money on the race.
Bing Crosby, Pat O'Brien and Jimmy Durante found the perfect plot of land near the Pacific Ocean in Del Mar for their race track in 1937. Movie Stars, famous and not so famous flocked to Del Mar and this seasonal surge enriched the community. Seabiscuit and Billy Shoemaker are a couple of big names in racing that helped Del Mar become one of the leading tracks in the country. In recent years it has gone through a restoration accentuating the charming Spanish-style architecture of the buildings. Today, this track holds some of the most prestigious stakes events in California racing.
If you want to try your luck, stop and get a copy of The Daily Racing Form to educate yourself about the horse's chance in each race.
Your winnings may not be enough to buy a diamond studded ring, but the thrill of seeing horses running thrity miles an hour round the track, the sound of thundering hooves as they pass by the rail and the fresh ocean breeze offers a sense of natural power and energy rarely found outside of a racetrack.
- Pros:Charming things to do and see
- Cons:Expensive and Rigid City
- In a nutshell:A Great Get-Away Location for Certain People!
Don't you just hate it when the photo doesn't match the tip? Well, what if I told you the photo is typical of your view... more travel advice
Naturally, I didn't stay here. I live in San Diego and just went home. However I drove past the place and thought it... more travel advice
- See All No More Book Signings!
- Find Out What's Planned!
- See All Boogie-Boarding!
- See All Convenient & Costly
- See All Know Before You Go....
lmkluque's Related Pages
Del Mar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Del Mar: Where the Surf Meets the Turf!!"
- "Upscale beach town - a must see!"
- "Del Mar"
- "Torrey Pines"
- "Marc's Del Mar Page"
- "KristinaLMF's new Del Mar page"
- "Yubert's Del Mar Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Del Mar
- Hotels in Del Mar
- Transportation in Del Mar
- Nightlife in Del Mar
- Restaurants in Del Mar
- Shopping in Del Mar
- Warnings and Dangers in Del Mar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Del Mar
- 47 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Del Mar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Del Mar
Photos in Del MarSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 179 reviews, 593 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 65 reviews, 221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 65 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 171 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue