Coronado Local Custom Tips by lmkluque Top 5 Page for this destination
Coronado Local Customs: 25 reviews and 29 photos
Leaving Coronado over the bridge
This sign tells you how to get off the island, by going over the Coronado Bridge.
The bridge was built in 1969 and there was a toll of $1.00 going each way, to help pay for the building of the bridge. Within a few short years the bridge was paid off. Instead of reducing the toll, they only charged for cars going into Coronado--it was free leaving.
Now there is a toll of $1.00 for cars with only one person in the car, coming into Coronado. Two or more enter without cost, and leaving is still free. Are you getting the message?
Well, don't worry, it's mainly the residents who seem to want to keep Coronado to themselves.
The merchants, hotel keepers and restaurant owners who will always make you feel welcomed and wanted. Come and enjoy.
The toll has been discontinued.
No charge for crossing the bridge going either way anymore.
It was 1911 when U.S. Naval Aviation came into being, right here at the north end of Coronado.
This year, 2011, is the centennial year and a board member of the Coronado Historical Association came up with the idea of honoring past and present U.S. Naval Aviators who lived here on the Island. It was dubbed, "Project Home Front," and the research began. So far there are more than 600 Aviator homes that have been identified and there are probably more to come.
The plan was to place a plaque in the yard of each house where it is known that a Naval Aviator had lived while serving in Coronado. The number on the plaque is taken from the number on the Aviator's military record. This plaque is numbered, 446 which means that the person honored here was the 446th pilot to receive his license as a U.S. Naval Aviator.
While walking/driving along almost any residential street in Coronado these sings can be seen.
However, a stop at the CHA might make it more interesting because they offer a list of the Aviators and a map that serves as a guide. This List and Map can be downloaded on-line as well.
There has been an exhibit, "Wings of Gold" going on for those interested in Naval Aviation, at CHA, but only until 2 January 2012. Still the map and these plaques serve as an outdoor exhibition.
Phone: (619) 435-7242
More Reviews (63)
- See All Coronado's Own
- See All Spreckles' First Mansion in Coronado
- See All New to the area!
- See All Play, Picnic, Skate or Cycle at...
- See All But Where To Park?
- See All MTS Bus Route 901 and 904
lmkluque's Related Pages
Coronado Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coronado City, Beach and North Island"
- "~~ Coronado ~~"
- "The most beautiful area of San Diego County!"
- "Resort town that only gets better"
- "The Crowned One"
- "Coronado, CA"
- "A state of mind ... Coronado is ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coronado
- Hotels in Coronado
- Transportation in Coronado
- Nightlife in Coronado
- Restaurants in Coronado
- Shopping in Coronado
- Warnings and Dangers in Coronado
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coronado
- 65 Reviews
- 163 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Coronado?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coronado
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Wrote a Review Coronado's Own about Coronado Brewing Company / Pub in Coronado Restaurants
- Commented on one of lmkluque's Coronado tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spreckles' First Mansion in Coronado"
- updated a Coronado Travel Page "Coronado City, Beach and North Island"
Photos in CoronadoSee All Photos (163)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 176 reviews, 567 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 65 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 171 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hotel Del Coronado- 17 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Ferrylanding Market Place- 10 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Orange Avenue- 6 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Coronado Beach- 11 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Art & Achitecture- 7 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Art-In-The-Park- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Flora & Fauna- 2 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Glorietta Bay Park- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- Food & Drink- 1 Review, 2 Photos
- Coronado Tidelands Park- 1 Review, 4 Photos
See All Coronado Things to Do