Coronado Tourist Trap Tips by lmkluque Top 5 Page for this destination
Coronado Tourist Traps: 3 reviews and 3 photos
Parking Lot at Hotel del Coronado
It is our advice that you will need a car to get around in San Diego.
However, in Coronado parking is sometimes difficult to find near the desired location and when there is plenty of parking, the price is dear.
The two places that I think of when I think of "hard to find" parking spaces are the Hotel del and the Coronado Beach. Parking at the beach is free, but finding a spot might take half the day unless you park several blocks away.
At the Hotel Del, the charge is high so you either pay it or park some distance away.
Unique Suggestions: The Hotel Del offers Valet parking--expensive--and a back parking lot--also expensive.
Finding a parking spot near the hotel is time consuming as there is much competition with beach goers who park for hours on end in spaces near the Hotel.
My method is to have faith someone will want to leave when I arrive and I will drive around the block a few times until that person shows up. Many of you may scoff at this but I know you haven't any faith. I've actually made doubters--including a loving husband--get out of my car while I went around the block and sure enough, without the negative energy fumming, a space opens up.
Fun Alternatives: If driving on faith is not your cup of tea, take the bus or walk or rent a bik at the Ferry Landing and ride it. Of course then you'll have the problem of where to park the bike.
Thank goodness that Coronado is small enough to get around by walking.
It should be "No...."
Beware of the altered signs! This neatly applied 'grafitti' gives a false message.
Of course most people wouldn't notice the alteration, but it's useful to pay attention to posted signs in Coronado. Not just in the parks or on the streets, but at the beach as well.
If a sign is not easy for you to understand, ask. Almost everyone will be happy to help a tourist.
Year Round Beauty
Tourist traps are in the "eye of the beholder" and because of that anything can be a tourist trap.
Imagine being able to walk through the beautiful grounds of the Hotel Del Coronado and not being able to afford a night's stay. It's expensive and disappointing, but does that make it a tourist trap?
Unique Suggestions: This feeling has never been mine, not because I can afford to stay here. Rather because I can stop here for a meal at one of the restaurants, I can sit on the Sun Deck enjoy the sun and activity passing me by or I can take the steps down to the beach.
It's all a frame of mind.
Fun Alternatives: Splurge on a late and leisurely lunch at Sheerwater Restaurant, enjoy the elegance and the sun.
After lunch, take a walk through the hotel's shopping area to see what the rich and famous are buying these days. By the time you stop at the Sun Deck Bar and Grill for an afternoon cockatil, the sun will be about to set, in all it's glorious display of color.
More Reviews (59)
- See All New to the area!
- See All Play, Picnic, Skate or Cycle at...
- See All Birth Place of U.S. Naval Aviation!
- See All Two Locations in Coronado
- See All Bargin Hunter Alert!
- See All MTS Bus Route 901 and 904
lmkluque's Related Pages
Coronado Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coronado City, Beach and North Island"
- "~~ Coronado ~~"
- "The most beautiful area of San Diego County!"
- "Resort town that only gets better"
- "The Crowned One"
- "A state of mind ... Coronado is ..."
- "~CORONADO ISLAND~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coronado
- Hotels in Coronado
- Transportation in Coronado
- Nightlife in Coronado
- Restaurants in Coronado
- Shopping in Coronado
- Warnings and Dangers in Coronado
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coronado
- 62 Reviews
- 153 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Coronado?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coronado
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 168 reviews, 536 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 167 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 62 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- National City Intro, 45 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 111 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues