"Coronado City, Beach and North Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado by lmkluque

Coronado Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 688 photos

MILITARY..MONEY..MERRIMENT!

Welcome to my Coronado page,

This photo sums up my image of Coronado and it is obvious from the first glance that Coronado is a city that caters to the rich, famous and those with discriminating tastes.

Let not these facts deter you from having a wonderful time in this lovely city. There are many ways to spend time here without depleting the pocketbook.

Tour the museum of the Hotel Del Coronado, it is free and open to the public.

Update:

The museum has moved to a new home:
Coronado Museum of History and Art
1100 Orange Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118
Phone: (619) 435-7242

There is a charge for it. $4.00 adults, $3.00 seniors and $2.00 children 9-18)

However, a visit to the Hotel Del is a Must See. It is a World Class Hotel, a National Landmark and has lots of public areas where anyone not a guest can see and explore. While at the Del, take a stroll through the shops on the lower level, which has been remodeled. Walk out to the promenade, which is now called the Sun Deck, order a drink, sit at one of the tables and enjoy the panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean.

There is no charge for hiking down to the beach, joining a game of volleyball, or soccer, taking a swim, or just spreading out a towel for sun-bathing.

At the Ferry Landing Market Place in Coronado, there are inexpensive places to grab something to eat for an impromptu picnic on the bayside beach while enjoying the San Diego skyline and watching all the boat activity on the bay.

After window shopping up Orange Avenue, take a rest on one of the benches along the street, sit back and enjoy the warm California sun; no charge.

Of course, if you have lots of money, you will have fun spending it here!!

I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
Linda

A VIEW FROM POINT LOMA

Coronado is an island at the southern end of San Diego Bay .

It is connected to the main land by a bridge crossing from I-5 north/south at the southern end of downtown San Diego, to the northeast end of Glorietta Bay, in Coronado.

Without a car, the easiest way to cross the bridge, is taking the 901, 902 or 903 bus. Also the "Old Town Trolley Tours" bus, which has eight to eleven pick-up and drop off points throughout San Diego, includes a stop in Coronado.

There is also a connection from Imperial Beach, via a man-made strip called the Silver Strand.

A pedestrian/bicycle ferry is available for those without access to a car, located at the Broadway pier. At the Ferry Landing Market Place it is possible to rent a bike to explore this city.

Coronado is a charming city, one of San Diego's nicest, and the main attractions here are the Hotel Del Coronado, an historical landmark, Orange Avenue, the main street, full of shops, sidewalk cafes and restaurants, the Ferry Landing Market Place, a favorite of tourists and residents alike, and of course, the Coronado Beach!

NORTH ISLAND NAVAL AIR STATION

If you wonder why I mention information about the US Military so often, it is for several reasons.

The impact of the United States Navy has played a great part in the development of this area, the US Navy is the biggest employer, the Sailors, Aviators and their families are a major portion of the population.

Many people have settled in the area because of having been stationed at North Island Naval Air Station. My dad was a sailor stationed in San Diego, that is why we came here to live. I was a Navy Brat and for a time, was employed by the US Navy and worked at North Island myself. My oldest son joined the US Air Force.

So, the US Military has played a significant role in my life and I think it's interesting.

North Island Naval Air Station is at the north end of the island and it was for easy access to this base that the Silver Strand was created.

Avoid going over the bridge or down the Strand during "rush hour" as both can be quite clogged.

Many residents in Coronado are connected to the US Navy and as you drive through the neighborhoods you will see, not only lovely mansions, but the ordinary house of the average person.

Something new, you'll see that quite a few of these homes have plaques in the yard to announce that it was once the home of a Naval Aviator. This began at the first of the year, 2011, to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Naval Flight.

North Island, in Coronado is the birth place of Naval Aviation and the Coronado Historical Society decided to acknowledge this fact by honoring the Aviators who have lived here over the past one hundred years.

• Pros:A Resort City
  • Cons:Expensive
  • In a nutshell:A Great Get-Away Location!
  • Last visit to Coronado: Sep 2013
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Linda, I see you have done a lot of updating since I last looked at this page.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Great page on Coronado!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I never realized that the first leg of Charles A. Lindbergh’s transatlantic flight actually began on the Pacific coast at North Island in Coronado. As I said in one of my Paris tips, my father was in the crowd of more than 100,000 people who waited at Le Bourget airfield near Paris for Lindbergh to arrive from New York in his little plane on May 21, 1927.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Awesome page Linda! One of my favorite places to visit. Whenever my sister visits her niece, she is like "Lets go to beach, wheather its cold or hot..lol! I will have to try some of your restaurant choices. They look yummy!

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2011 at 1:23 AM

I followed your suggestions for restaurants when I went to San Diego, I will do the same if I go to Coronado!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I have heard of this place many times, but not trekked there. Thanks for the wonderful tour and the pictures tell the story.

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 2:20 AM

Seems like a lovely place to visit, combined with San Diego. Thanks again for the postcard! and the Simpsons stamps:)

• Sep 9, 2007 at 10:11 PM

would you please share the name address and phone number of the perfume shop that you wrote about? i would greatly appreciate it.

• Apr 26, 2005 at 9:53 AM

comming June 18, where can we eat with our 4 yr old granddaughter that is not over priced things she will enjoy to do. also can children go to the winerys we are staying at the Loews

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2005 at 4:05 AM

You've done a great job on this page. I should have spent time here instead of just driving thru. I could spend hours and hours between the hotel's architecture and all those antique shops and cafes. Wonderful presentation.

lmkluque Visits Here Frequently!

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Badges & Stats in Coronado

Have you been to Coronado?

Photos in Coronado