"Carlsbad, California--North of San Diego" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad by lmkluque
Carlsbad Travel Guide: 183 reviews and 330 photos
Welcome to my Carlsbad page,
Water might be considered the theme of this charming beach resort town for a couple of reasons. It states on the Carlsbad website that, "Much of greater Carlsbad was part of Rancho Agua Hedionda, which means "Stinking Water." Reading this for the first time, I had to laugh because it is still the problem in and around Carlsbad. While driving through the town there were several areas near Buena Vista Lagoon and Agua Hedionda Lagoon, where strong whiffs of sewer entered through the open car window.
In 1880, John Frazier dug a fresh water well to supply the newly developed California Southern Railroad which made a whistle stop at what became known as Frazier's Station. A second well dug, hit a source of mineral water that was equal in mineral content to the popular Bohemian spa in Karlsbad (Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic) and eventually the village was named Carlsbad. Today, the Alt Karlsbad Hanse House is the site of that well.
The final and most popular connection with water, is the Pacific Ocean which is two blocks west of this intersection.
From my perspective, there are three sections of interest in Carlsbad.
First: The downtown area, "Carlsbad Village,'" which is located in the western center, has just about everything a tourist could want at a seaside resort. Shops, spas, restaurants, lodging and easy access to the Pacific Ocean are all within walking distance.
Second: At the northeast end of Carlsbad is the Buena Vista Lagoon. (The section south of Highway 78 is near the North County Plaza Shopping Center where VT Members met to welcome Laura, "hayward68" to the San Diego area.)
Third: At the southen end of Carlsbad is the Aqua Hedionda Lagoon, Palomar Airport, Legoland, The Flower Fields and Rancho de los Quiotes among other attractions.
On this page I'll try to show you some of the most interesting and most popular aspects of Carlsbad, California.
I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
- Pros:Small Resort Town
- Cons:Odoriferouswinds in places
- In a nutshell:Stay away from the lagoons
Casa de Bandini has relocated from the original Juan Bandini home in Old Town San Diego State Historic Park to the Forum... more travel advice
When Spartan announced a surprise birthday VT Meeting for his lovely bride, Laruie Jeanne at Benihana in Carlsbad I was... more travel advice
lmkluque's Related Pages
Carlsbad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carlsbad, California--North of San Diego"
- "Village by the Sea"
- "Beautiful Village By the Sea"
- "Birthday get together "A VT Meeting""
- "Carlsbad known as the "Village by the Sea""
- "San Diego North County"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlsbad
- Hotels in Carlsbad
- Transportation in Carlsbad
- Nightlife in Carlsbad
- Restaurants in Carlsbad
- Shopping in Carlsbad
- Warnings and Dangers in Carlsbad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlsbad
- 29 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Carlsbad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlsbad
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- updated a Carlsbad Travel Page "Carlsbad, California--North of San Diego"
- Wrote a Review Relocated from Old Town SD State Historic Park in Carlsbad Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Relocated from Old Town SD State Historic Park"
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Carlsbad travel pages
Photos in CarlsbadSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 168 reviews, 536 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 55 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 167 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 62 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- National City Intro, 45 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 111 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues