"Carlsbad, California--North of San Diego" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad by lmkluque

Carlsbad Travel Guide: 183 reviews and 330 photos

Take the Waters Here

Welcome to my Carlsbad page,

Water might be considered the theme of this charming beach resort town for a couple of reasons. It states on the Carlsbad website that, "Much of greater Carlsbad was part of Rancho Agua Hedionda, which means "Stinking Water." Reading this for the first time, I had to laugh because it is still the problem in and around Carlsbad. While driving through the town there were several areas near Buena Vista Lagoon and Agua Hedionda Lagoon, where strong whiffs of sewer entered through the open car window.

In 1880, John Frazier dug a fresh water well to supply the newly developed California Southern Railroad which made a whistle stop at what became known as Frazier's Station. A second well dug, hit a source of mineral water that was equal in mineral content to the popular Bohemian spa in Karlsbad (Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic) and eventually the village was named Carlsbad. Today, the Alt Karlsbad Hanse House is the site of that well.

The final and most popular connection with water, is the Pacific Ocean which is two blocks west of this intersection.

From my perspective, there are three sections of interest in Carlsbad.

First: The downtown area, "Carlsbad Village,'" which is located in the western center, has just about everything a tourist could want at a seaside resort. Shops, spas, restaurants, lodging and easy access to the Pacific Ocean are all within walking distance.

Second: At the northeast end of Carlsbad is the Buena Vista Lagoon. (The section south of Highway 78 is near the North County Plaza Shopping Center where VT Members met to welcome Laura, "hayward68" to the San Diego area.)

Third: At the southen end of Carlsbad is the Aqua Hedionda Lagoon, Palomar Airport, Legoland, The Flower Fields and Rancho de los Quiotes among other attractions.

On this page I'll try to show you some of the most interesting and most popular aspects of Carlsbad, California.

I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
Linda

• Pros:Small Resort Town
  • Cons:Odoriferouswinds in places
  • In a nutshell:Stay away from the lagoons
  • Last visit to Carlsbad: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated May 31, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I have met two of the people who were at your VT meeting in Carlsbad in 2003, namely Stephanie and Gerry. Interesting that Carlsbad even has a Danish-style Legoland. There is also a Legoland in Germany now, and my little grandsons loved it when they were there last summer. By the way, thanks for including the link to the Museum of Making Music. They are still going strong, evidently.

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2004 at 10:00 PM

Very interesting about the spa there - Nice page, I may have to make a train trip there and check it out.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2004 at 9:59 AM

I enjoyed Southern California a lot! I need sun haha! Lovely "VT Gathers Again!" picture! I do hope to come back there again...

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2004 at 1:25 AM

I enjoyed your page.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2004 at 3:36 AM

such a great page ! My husband [ Carl] has bad joints, if we ever visit the states and Carl`s feeling bad I can bring hin to Carlsbad !!!!!!!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2004 at 9:07 AM

You're wrong about LEGOland, Linda. LEGOland was in my kid's bedrooms when they were younger. :) Great look at Carlsbad. I'd like to do one of those spa massages. Feeling a bit achy today. (gettin' old)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2004 at 8:08 AM

an interesting page, Linda ! I actually did NOT expect any connections to Karlovy Vary / Karlsbad in Czechia - but great to learn the name actually has a connection !!

• Kodi01's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2003 at 11:46 AM

May 2004 bring us good health and great friends! :o)

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Badges & Stats in Carlsbad

Have you been to Carlsbad?