"Carlsbad, California--North of San Diego" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad by lmkluque
Carlsbad Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 353 photos
Welcome to my Carlsbad page,
Water might be considered the theme of this charming beach resort town for a couple of reasons. It states on the Carlsbad website that, "Much of greater Carlsbad was part of Rancho Agua Hedionda, which means "Stinking Water." Reading this for the first time, I had to laugh because it is still the problem in and around Carlsbad. While driving through the town there were several areas near Buena Vista Lagoon and Agua Hedionda Lagoon, where strong whiffs of sewer entered through the open car window.
In 1880, John Frazier dug a fresh water well to supply the newly developed California Southern Railroad which made a whistle stop at what became known as Frazier's Station. A second well dug, hit a source of mineral water that was equal in mineral content to the popular Bohemian spa in Karlsbad (Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic) and eventually the village was named Carlsbad. Today, the Alt Karlsbad Hanse House is the site of that well.
The final and most popular connection with water, is the Pacific Ocean which is two blocks west of this intersection.
From my perspective, there are three sections of interest in Carlsbad.
First: The downtown area, "Carlsbad Village,'" which is located in the western center, has just about everything a tourist could want at a seaside resort. Shops, spas, restaurants, lodging and easy access to the Pacific Ocean are all within walking distance.
Second: At the northeast end of Carlsbad is the Buena Vista Lagoon. (The section south of Highway 78 is near the North County Plaza Shopping Center where VT Members met to welcome Laura, "hayward68" to the San Diego area.)
Third: At the southen end of Carlsbad is the Aqua Hedionda Lagoon, Palomar Airport, Legoland, The Flower Fields and Rancho de los Quiotes among other attractions.
On this page I'll try to show you some of the most interesting and most popular aspects of Carlsbad, California.
I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
- Pros:Small Resort Town
- Cons:Odoriferouswinds in places
- In a nutshell:Stay away from the lagoons
The second annual Carlsbad Brew Fest will be held at this park. San Diego is bursting at the seams with microbreweries... more travel advice
Casa de Bandini has relocated from the original Juan Bandini home in Old Town San Diego State Historic Park to the Forum... more travel advice
lmkluque's Related Pages
Carlsbad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carlsbad, California--North of San Diego"
- "Village by the Sea"
- "Beautiful Village By the Sea"
- "San Diego North County"
- "Carlsbad known as the "Village by the Sea""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlsbad
- Hotels in Carlsbad
- Transportation in Carlsbad
- Nightlife in Carlsbad
- Restaurants in Carlsbad
- Shopping in Carlsbad
- Warnings and Dangers in Carlsbad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlsbad
- 31 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Carlsbad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlsbad
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- updated a Carlsbad Travel Page "Carlsbad, California--North of San Diego"
- Wrote a Review The Site of Carlsbad Brew Fest about Holiday Park in Carlsbad Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Site of Carlsbad Brew Fest"
- Commented on one of lmkluque's Carlsbad tips
Photos in CarlsbadSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 179 reviews, 593 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 65 reviews, 221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 65 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 171 photos, 4 travelogues
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue