Cabrillo National Monument Sports & Outdoors Tips by lmkluque
Cabrillo National Monument Sports & Outdoors: 4 reviews and 5 photos
Fishing attracts all ages.
Fishing at Sunset Cliffs in Point Loma is not the most popular place, but it can be done and if you're just itching to give it a try why not? Many real fishermen dream of fishing off an islolated island in some for or other and this just might be a good place for the imagination. Not many people are out here most of the time, the parking is free and it is an adventure to climb out on these rocks.
Just make sure that you pick a calm ocean time of day or year, for this sport. High waves could wash you away.
Equipment: Point Loma Sportfishing is the tackle shop nearest to Sunset Cliffs that I'm aware of. If you plan to buy your equipment and you're not an expert fisherman, you might try Wal-Mart for a better bargin on price.
Wear non-slip type shoes. Also bring food and drink if you plan to stay a while it could take a long time to catch your limit. Be warned, there are no bathrooms out on these rocks either.
If you decide to fish, check out the permit requierments for San Dieog at the official site for Sport Fishing Licenses
Address: 1403 Scott Street
Directions: Sunset Cliffs is located at the lower west end of Point Loma.%s*
Other Contact: http://www.sportfishsandiego.com
Phone: (619) 223-1627
Theme: Fishing Trips
Diving off the coast at Sunset Cliffs
Diving the kelpbeds of Point Loma is a popular sport around here.
Cabrillo N. M. isn't the place most people would normally dive from, but Point Loma might be. Also, either Cabrillo or Point Loma would probably not be a place that most tourists would dive from,
Rather up the coast a bit at Pacific Beach or La Jolla from where there are shops to rent the equipment needed, is the most likely places a tourist would dive from.
I happen to think that watching divers is interesting and adds another dimension to Ocean Viewing so mention it here.
Equipment: No equipment needed to watch these guys, but you might consider bringing a drink and maybe even snacks with you. You might end up staying longer than expected.
Address: 7730 Herschel Avenue Suite K, LA Jolla
Directions: SeaClypse Dive Adventures is actually located in La Jolla, but will take you to the Kelp Beds at Point Loma.
Theme: Scuba Diving
A Regatta in January
San Diego Bay is a popular place for Regattas. The America's Cup is held in San Diego as well as other places. There are various other Regattas take place throughout the year, this one happened in Januaray. What makes it interesting is that the weather is nice enough to be outside to watch it and a view from the Cabrillo N. M. is pretty awesome. Even if a Regattata isn't going on during your visit, you'll have a great view of the SD Bay from the Observation Deck up at Cabrillo and there you'll find an information plaque that will help you identify the various sea-going vessels you'll see floating by.
These sail boats, pictured here, are heading out to the Pacific Ocean during this race. Depending upon your inclination and ability, you can either watch it or enter it.
Land mass on the right is the Cabrillo National Monument at the tip of Point Loma.
Equipment: You'll need no equipment to watch the sport, but you will need a boat to participate. If you do have the use of a boat check out the website below for "Dock and Dine" restaurants on the SD Bay. That might add a unique twist to your sport.
Address: San Deigo Bay
More Reviews (24)
- See All Affordable, Old, Clean and Very Friendly
- See All Living in Point Loma
- See All Free Whale Watching
- See All Bayside Trail at CNM
- See All Closed On Wednesday?
- Interesting Things To Purchase
lmkluque's Related Pages
Cabrillo National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historical, Interesting And Awesome Views!"
- "~Cabrillo National Monument~"
- "Lighting the Way"
- "Basaic Cabrillo National Monument Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cabrillo National Monument
- Hotels in Cabrillo National Monument
- Transportation in Cabrillo National Monument
- Nightlife in Cabrillo National Monument
- Restaurants in Cabrillo National Monument
- Shopping in Cabrillo National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Cabrillo National Monument
- See All...
Explore the World
- Banani Model Town Hotels
- Cookeville Hotels
- Bayombong Hotels
- Kaeleku Hotels
- Angel Fire
- Pristina Sports & Outdoors
- Huaraz Sports & Outdoors
- Isla de Gran Canaria Sports & Outdoors
- Traben-Trarbach Sports & Outdoors
- Lisbon Sports & Outdoors
- Tajikistan Sports & Outdoors
- Laughlin Sports & Outdoors
- Taipei Sports & Outdoors
- Boracay Island Sports & Outdoors
- Seefeld in Tirol Sports & Outdoors
- Palm Springs Sports & Outdoors
- Bukit Fraser Sports & Outdoors
Badges & Stats in Cabrillo National Monument
- 27 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Cabrillo National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cabrillo National Monument
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- updated a Cabrillo National Monument Travel Page "Historical, Interesting And Awesome Views!"
- Wrote a Review Affordable, Old, Clean and Very... in Cabrillo National Monument Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Affordable, Old, Clean and Very Friendly"
Photos in Cabrillo National MonumentSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 153 reviews, 405 photos, 10 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 54 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 105 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos