"Historical, Interesting And Awesome Views!" Cabrillo National Monument by lmkluque
Cabrillo National Monument Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 240 photos
Welcome to my Cabrillo National Monument page,
Point Loma is a community situated on a high peninsula located at the northwestern edge of San Diego Bay.
At the tip of Point Loma is the Cabrillo National Monument. Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo (statute pictured here) arrived in San Diego in 1542 and is considered the discoverer of our fine city.
There are several sites worth seeing up here. Not least of which are the spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean.
Don't miss the "Tide Pools" on the west side and Fort Rosecranes Cemetery, the West Coast's version of Arlington Cemetery. You'll find more information on my Fort Rosecranes page.
The road to Cabrillo is closed to non-military persons at 5:00 p.m. So be sure to come early.
I Hope You Enjoy your visit,
Between Ocean Beach and Cabrillo National Monument you'll find the San Diego community of Point Loma. It spreads down the peninsula on the east side with fantastic views of the San Diego Harbor and on the west side with awesome views of the Pacific Ocean.
Plan to visit Cabrillo N.M. sometime before noon, with enough time to leave by five, then wander down Catalina Boulevard until you reach Hill Street in plenty of time to watch the sunset at Sunset Cliffs Park. Make a left onto Hill and follow it all the way to Sunset Cliffs Boulevard. You'll not see a sign announcing Luscombs Point and you might not even realize it is a park. There are seveal small parking lots to pull into and signs warn that the cliffs are unstable so, don't try climbing down them--some people do, but the fine for the climb is between $50.00 and $290.00. Part of this area is technically considered Ocean Beach, but it is still on the west side of the Point Loma Peninsula.
While waiting for the setting of the sun, drive through Point Loma Nazerene University, a small school located on one of the most beautiful spots in San Diego.
Another idea is to take a few right turns off Catalina Boulevard to see views of the San Diego Bay. Then take a few left turns off Catlalina to see views of the Pacific Ocean, well the best street to do this is Hill Street, from the top of it there is a panoramic view of homes, palm trees and ocean. So Beautiful.
- Pros:Historical, Fun and Awesome Views
- Cons:Closed after five
- In a nutshell:Worth a trip out here!
The Old Lighthouse is located high on the tip of Point Loma. The "new" and actually useful Lighthouse is also located on... more travel advice
Point Loma's residential section historically was developed to house military personnel and their families, some of the... more travel advice
- See All Bayside Trail at CNM
- See All Skin / Scuba Diving!
- See All Closed On Wednesday?
- Interesting Things To Purchase
- The Old Light House
lmkluque's Related Pages
Cabrillo National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historical, Interesting And Awesome Views!"
- "~Cabrillo National Monument~"
- "Lighting the Way"
- "Basaic Cabrillo National Monument Page"
- "The discoverer of California"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cabrillo National Monument
- Hotels in Cabrillo National Monument
- Transportation in Cabrillo National Monument
- Nightlife in Cabrillo National Monument
- Restaurants in Cabrillo National Monument
- Shopping in Cabrillo National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Cabrillo National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cabrillo National Monument
- 28 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Cabrillo National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cabrillo National Monument
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Not a question, just a..."
- Commented on one of lmkluque's Cabrillo National Monument travel pages
- updated a Cabrillo National Monument Travel Page "Historical, Interesting And Awesome Views!"
- Commented on the Cabrillo National Monument travel guide
- Wrote a Review Tour the Old Lighthouse in Cabrillo National Monument Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Affordable, Old, Clean and Very Friendly"
Photos in Cabrillo National MonumentSee All Photos (101)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 168 reviews, 536 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 56 reviews, 174 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 168 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos, 1 travelogue
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 111 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues