"Kosice With Family" Kosice by lmkluque

Kosice Travel Guide: 182 reviews and 508 photos

Charming Town Square!

Disclaimer:

This page tells of a personal trip to the "old country" and is meant to help others searching their "roots" rather than an up-to-date travel page.

Welcome to my Kosice, Czechoslovakia page,

The photo is an over view of Kosice. The town center is charming and the outskirts are full of tall, rectangular buildings refered to as habitations-- which are not much different from the housing projects throughout the U.S.A., so for me, they were rather common.

I arrived in Kosice about eight in the evening and the first shock was the airport. We walked off the plane to the tarmac, which reminded me of a scene from "Casablanca," into the airport "terminal" which was a very small building to my eye. No one spoke English so, I followed the other passengers, hoping they'd lead me to my suitcase. They did.

The second shock I experienced was the baggage claim area. Out the door of the building there was an "L" shaped wall about knee high, with our luggage stacked on top. After a while I found mine and the third shock occured.

I didn't know how I would recognize my relatives picking me up from the airport as I had never seen them before. I hadn't thought of that fact until that very moment.

Kosice is a lovely town in many ways and it was thanks to my father and my "roots" searching that I had this chance to enter a communist country, which indeed Kosice was part of, when I arrived.

I hope you enjoy your visit,
Linda

• Pros:A lovely town
  • Cons:Not enough time to see it all
  • In a nutshell:Don't miss this interesting place!
  • Last visit to Kosice: Nov 1988
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2013

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

How fantastic the opportunity to visit relatives. Have they stayed in touch? The Saint Stephan's of Slovakia is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing such a touching and special adventure!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2012 at 4:33 AM

How nice that your relatives gave you some of that beautiful glass crystal ware! My father also came from a glass-making town, but at the other end of Czechoslovakia.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Linda, interesting page about Kosice. I have been there last May and of course it looked quite differnet compared to what you have seen there.

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 9:57 AM

I like the Kosice pictures.... I think I would enjoy Slovakia!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Kocice Dom looks imressive. "Celebrating the Russian Revolution!"- tip brings me back in 1988... Great October socialist revolution, velvet revolution, orange revolution etc... Who knows? Thanks Linda for interesting updating!

• Jan 21, 2007 at 1:27 PM

"Soviet flags everywhere": Info is different from reality. On Jan 19th Kosice were liberated in WW II by Sovier Army (not Russian revolution). It is historical fact and it is normal, to commemorate that day. By the way the building is City Hall of Kosice.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2006 at 8:54 PM

Hello Linda! I truly enjoyed your Kosice page and the interest you showed to your roots. It was great pleasure explore your page, thank you for sharing. Happy birthday from Finland!

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2006 at 7:00 AM

My great-grandparents also came to the US from Slovakia. I would love to visit there sometime. Thanks for the tips.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2005 at 7:13 AM

What an interesting page , Linda ! I think I should explore Slovakia myself soon !

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2005 at 7:02 AM

Very interesting page, Linda A real eye opener I am sure!

lmkluque