"My Ancestral Home-Sweet-Home" Vlachovo by lmkluque

Vlachovo Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 9 photos

Off The Beaten Path!!b

Welcome to my Vlachovo page!

Since VT has added the village of Vlachovo I will try to build a nice page to honor the town and to give information.

Many people in the U.S.A. have an avid interest in genealogy, wanting to trace their roots back to the "old country." Almost all of us do have roots in another country and somehow it is enlightening or reassuring when we discover from where we came.

In my case there are several "old countries" to discover and since I am half Slovak this is where I began my search.

The fact that Vlachovo was the last village both my paternal grandparents lived before venturing off to the "new world," might not be as interesting to you as the fact that when they came to this village, it was not called Vlachovo, nor was it in the country of Slovakia. It wasn't even Czechoslovakia when they were babies. The village was called Olaf Potak and it was situated in the Hungarian part of the Austria-Hungarian Empire!

Imagine, this unassuming village stood, while a great empire fell. It survived two world wars, including a time of occupation. It survived communism, the absence of communism and who knows what else?

Some of the buildings of Vlachovo may look old, battered and neglected, but inside the homes I found strength, love and great cheer!

After reading about Vlachovo, you may not want to rush to the travel agent to get there, but you may think about finding your own ancestral home, it can be for you as it was for me, an eye-opening, heart-warming experience.

I hope you enjoy your visit,
Linda

I Apologize!

Today I received a phone call about my Vlachovo page. It seems that I've upset someone with the comments I've made.

"Unkind remarks about Vlachovo" was how it was put to me. I was surprised by this reaction because there was never an intention to be unkind as I wrote about Vlachovo. On the contrary, I wanted to convey a town full of wonderful people who went out of their way to show me a good time and helped me feel the connection I had in this part of the world.

So, I re-read my tips, with the upset person in mind, to see if I had said anything unkind. I do see now, how some of my comments might have created this up-set.

However, I'm not sure how to fix it.

I wrote honestly of my impressions and experiences of visiting my father's ancestral hometown. There is one thing I can change and I will, but until I've decided what to do, I hope anyone who reads this will know that the loving attention I experienced in Vlachovo was at the time a profound gift that still lives in my heart.

To those who take exception to what I've written, I sincerley apologize.

My Solution

Normally I would not have decided to change anything on one of my pages as I've only written from my point of view as honestly as I could.

I know everyone can not be appeased and this is not my intention. After some days of thought on this I've reached a conclusion and am going to act upon it now.

When I visited this part of the world it was called Czechoslovakia, a Communist country basically under Soviet Rule and what I saw was partly due to the attitude of that regime. When the Velvet Revolution occured and Czechoslovakia became two countries, it was a difficult task for the citizens to adjust to a new system and in some ways a pretty scary future for many individuals.

Since that time improvements have been made and are continuing to be made. This is true about Vlachovo as well and you can see for yourself a side of this town that I didn't see at the time. I don't know if it was because I arrived during the winter time or for some other reason but if you want to experience traditional Slovak living take a look at this Official Vlachovo Website. See the town as it is now.

At the time of my visit, I thought there were no hotels or restaurants in Vlachovo. There may be one or more now, but even if there isn't you might want to spend a day here, especially when they have one of their festivals and have a unique experience for yourself.

• Pros:Ancestral Home
  • Cons:It took so long to get there
  • In a nutshell:A Quiet Place, Teeming With Life
  • Last visit to Vlachovo: Nov 1988
  • Intro Updated Apr 29, 2012

• alza's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Hi Linda, It was considerate of you to consider doing something and to take the action you did. Your ancestral village can be proud of you. And I can tell you that after reading your Intro to Vlachovo, I would love to visit this village in Slovakia! Thank you for writing about it.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
      Jun 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Thanks Lou, it was a humbling experience to be told that they had been insulted. Thanks for your comment.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Good that you could stay with your relatives in their homes. When I first visited East Germany in the 1960s I had to book and pay for a room at the local Inter-Hotel (the compulsory hotel for foreigners) even though in fact I stayed with my cousin Manfred and his wife in their apartment.

• Jan 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM

My Ancestral home is also Vlachovo, Parents went back to visit in 1981 and daughter went back to visit in in 1998.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Oh I love these sort of pages, with a real personal element. Wonderful reading.

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 8:20 AM

Lovely, emotional story. Thanks for sharing. Regards, Vesna

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 2:14 AM

Must have been a great experience to visit the home of your ancestors -- a poignant story with excellent photos.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 5:58 AM

such a wonderful story Linda, when can we expect another installment? Thanks

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2003 at 2:59 PM

a lovely page, Linda ! an evening like in your nightlife-tip will stay in memory much longer than a stylish place ...

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2003 at 7:54 AM

It is nice to see where your family comes from, not just hear about it, but be there & try to imagine their life there. Nice!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2003 at 6:22 AM

I think I have read this page before but it is still fascinating! More more more! Memories and stories. I did wish you a very HB didn't it?

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Badges & Stats in Vlachovo

Have you been to Vlachovo?

Latest Activity in Vlachovo