"A Microcosm Of Larger European Cities" Top 5 Page for this destination Mons by lmkluque

Mons Travel Guide: 213 reviews and 416 photos

MONS 'Province de Hainaut'

Welcome to my Mons page!

Located southwest of Brussels, Mons has been wonderfully preserved, by a law, that allows only buildings compatible with those designed centuries ago, to be added.

Many of the houses standing, are several hundred years old. I saw fantastic buildings built in the 1600's, 1500's and even a few from the 1400's.

The ring road around Mons was once a great wall built to protect the citizens from waves of medieval marauders.

In Mons there is also "Cronque Street," made crooked as a deterrent to the enemy during invasion, giving the citizens time to hide or defend themselves.

I realize now, how the various attacks on the city, has effected it and it's people.

Throughout history, Mons survived and is now a charming place complete with an impressive University system as well as an intact Grand Place. Cronque Street opens onto the Grand Place.

I Hope You Enjoy your visit,
Linda

Point of Reference!

The Belfry is located on the highest point of Mons and can be seen for miles around. At the top are gold ornaments, they are shiny, impressive and beautiful. The bell still rings and it has a nice sound.

There is more than one way of reaching this Belfry and each route has it's own charms. This area of Mons is worth the time it takes to reconnoiter and there are plenty of spots aroung the Grand Place to stop for refreshments along the way.

Good Luck!

In front of the Hotel de Ville, you'll see an iron monkey. The true purpose of the monkey isn't known. Some speculate that it might have been a place to tie children, since it has a ring at the base, or it could have been the sign of a tavern, since there is an opening--covered over now--in the street for stairs decending below the building, which was once the entrance of a tavern.

What ever the original purpose, everyone now says that if you rub the monkey's head with your left hand it will bring good luck.

Of course I did.

• Pros:A small and ancient town.
  • Cons:Off the beaten path.
  • In a nutshell:Don't miss this beautiful place!
  • Last visit to Mons: Jan 1998
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2012

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

What a charming place. It looks like a postcard. Excellent page Linda!

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
      Jun 23, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Thanks Dee for visiting my Mons page. It was one of my favorite cities. I stayed near the center and even with my walking problems I was able to walk to the Grand Place and around the town area.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Looks like a nice place away from the crowds. Did the forced architectural compliance make it any less genuine to you? Nice virtual visit, gracias

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
      Sep 29, 2012 at 7:06 AM

No Val, it did not look less genuine to me at all. In fact it was very charmingly done. Remember, I come from a country where there is no architectural structure older than 250 years let alone 500 years! :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM

This looks like a charming town, and I think it is good that they have zoning regulations to keep it that way – even if some residents have been able to obey the law of architectural compliance and still make modern looking additions to their homes.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Jan 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Hi Linda, I see you have done numerous updates to this page since I last looked at it a year ago.
      I still haven’t been to Mons, but as you know I went to three cities in Flanders last summer. I am currently working on my Antwerp page, which I hope to start posting this weekend. The only place I have visited in the Wallonie so far is Liège.

• shutterlust's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 12:50 AM

thanks for the mons recommendation! seems like the perfect off-the-beaten track city, away from all the major cities on my itinerary! Thanks! :-)

• rubbersoul75's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 7:33 AM

Gotta love the Mons Monkey.. 4 visits here, 3 of them rainy for us! Thanks for stopping by the Umbria page. Sampling different quisine is one of the best parts of travel. I remember a great bucket of mussels on the mons square- ciao

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 2:44 AM

Thanks Linda for very interesting page about this beautiful Flemish city. I've never been there but it reminds me Brugge... May be next time...

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2006 at 2:52 PM

Never been to Mons but it looks vtypically Belgian. I also love the overcast weather, it somehow seems to suit the architecture and feel of the place. Loved the personal feel of this page . : ) Katherine.

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2004 at 7:01 AM

Hi! Thanks for you page about my birth town :-) Did you visit it for holidays, work , or study (I studied at the UMH too)?

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2004 at 9:08 AM

Wonderful page -- full of "Linda" -- that is -- full of life :)))) Thanks for sharing your pictures & experiences :)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2003 at 4:38 PM

Except the city itself I like well stocked fridge of a professor and... dog poop with style :-))) Was your first European pizza better than at Filippi's Pizza Grotto in San Diego? Rather impossible, I suppose!

lmkluque