"A Microcosm Of Larger European Cities" Top 5 Page for this destination Mons by lmkluque
Mons Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 428 photos
Welcome to my Mons page!
Located southwest of Brussels, Mons has been wonderfully preserved, by a law, that allows only buildings compatible with those designed centuries ago, to be added.
Many of the houses standing, are several hundred years old. I saw fantastic buildings built in the 1600's, 1500's and even a few from the 1400's.
The ring road around Mons was once a great wall built to protect the citizens from waves of medieval marauders.
In Mons there is also "Cronque Street," made crooked as a deterrent to the enemy during invasion, giving the citizens time to hide or defend themselves.
I realize now, how the various attacks on the city, has effected it and it's people.
Throughout history, Mons survived and is now a charming place complete with an impressive University system as well as an intact Grand Place. Cronque Street opens onto the Grand Place.
I Hope You Enjoy your visit,
The Belfry is located on the highest point of Mons and can be seen for miles around. At the top are gold ornaments, they are shiny, impressive and beautiful. The bell still rings and it has a nice sound.
There is more than one way of reaching this Belfry and each route has it's own charms. This area of Mons is worth the time it takes to reconnoiter and there are plenty of spots aroung the Grand Place to stop for refreshments along the way.
In front of the Hotel de Ville, you'll see an iron monkey. The true purpose of the monkey isn't known. Some speculate that it might have been a place to tie children, since it has a ring at the base, or it could have been the sign of a tavern, since there is an opening--covered over now--in the street for stairs decending below the building, which was once the entrance of a tavern.
What ever the original purpose, everyone now says that if you rub the monkey's head with your left hand it will bring good luck.
Of course I did.
- Pros:A small and ancient town.
- Cons:Off the beaten path.
- In a nutshell:Don't miss this beautiful place!
Belgium has two official languages, French and Flemish. This can add to the normal confusion of traveling in a country... more travel advice
The train station, (Gare) in Mons is situated conveniently near the town center and an easy way to travel from one city... more travel advice
lmkluque's Related Pages
Mons Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enjoy to stroll around"
- "Mons and the Doudou"
- "Mons, a medieval town with strong traditions!"
- "A Microcosm Of Larger European Cities"
- "MON'S - WELL WORTH A STOP!"
- "MONS (Bergen in Dutch)"
- "Mons, the heart of my student life ;-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mons
- Hotels in Mons
- Transportation in Mons
- Nightlife in Mons
- Restaurants in Mons
- Shopping in Mons
- Warnings and Dangers in Mons
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mons
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Mons?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mons
Photos in MonsSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 172 reviews, 561 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 60 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 168 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 63 reviews, 155 photos, 1 travelogue
- National City Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 35 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue