"A Trip of Mutual Comfort" Top 5 Page for this destination South Carolina by lmkluque

South Carolina Travel Guide: 2,840 reviews and 5,882 photos

Myrtle Beach

Welcome to my South Carolina page,

I took a train from Union Station in Washington DC to South Carolina. The sole purpose of this trip was to comfort my recently married, Belgian daughter-in-law and to be comforted.

My oldest son, her husband, was in the U.S. Air Force and had been sent to Saudi Arabia in support of Desert Shield in August of that year.

Instead of going home to Belgium or coming to us in San Diego, my daughter-in-law chose to keep the "home fires burning," in this foreign--to her--country while waiting for her husband to return safely.

It was a frightful time for us, as for everyone involved. His tour of duty lasted until the end of the war and he did come home safely, to our great relief.

It was interesting to see one of the "Southern States" with beautiful old plantation mansions and a style of living quite different from the style in California.

I Hope you enjoy your visit,
Linda

• Pros:A different style of living.
  • Cons:Far from home.
  • In a nutshell:A great place to visit!
  • Last visit to South Carolina: Oct 1990
  • Intro Updated Jun 5, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Good that you traveled from Washington DC to South Carolina by train in 1990. I started wondering if that is still possible, so I looked it up on the Amtrak website. It turns out there is still one train a day, leaving Washington at 9:55 am, arriving Dillon SC at 4:35 pm.

• Tourtech's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2008 at 10:49 AM

WE enjoyed your tips. We do like Myrtle Beach, but I did not know it was a military town. Safe travels from traveling Canadians!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 10:19 AM

Glad your son returned safely from service--we used to live in S.C. many years ago...the beaches are wonderful!

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2005 at 2:15 PM

Will be in SC next week for my son's graduation from basic training at Fort Jackson. Enjoyed reading your tips.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2005 at 4:00 AM

Nice job, Linda. I'm snooping around the south thinking of a birthday trip for myself....

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2003 at 1:00 PM

Very interesting and personal intro! Nice to hear about your first train trip, in my country many people start their first travels as teens just by train!

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2003 at 4:40 PM

yellow ribbon culture is also developing here in uk after iraq war. good tips linda.

• Feb 16, 2003 at 2:29 PM

I should have joined the Air Force.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2003 at 11:11 AM

enjoyed your page

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2002 at 10:58 AM

I know what you are talking about!!!

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Badges & Stats in South Carolina

Have you been to South Carolina?