"Perennial Hope" United States of America by lmkluque
United States of America Travel Guide: 285,971 reviews and 660,567 photos
Welcome to my U.S.A. page,
At this moment, (9/16/01) five days after the terrorist attacks on New York City, Washington D.C.,Flight 93 and by inference, against the United States of America and all of the Modern World, I am still in shock.
I feel a profound sadness. I feel sad for the people who have been hurt, for the people who have lost their lives, for the people who have lost loved ones, for the people who hate and for the people hated upon.
A profound sadness.
I Thank EVERYONE, from those heros at the crash sites searching diligently, to those in the far reaches of the globe who have expressed, kind, caring and heartfelt words of sympathy. The worldwide response of support and sympathy has helped in the healing of my broken heart, and has rejuvenated perennial HOPE.
In our national anthem the words, "...gave proof, through the night, that our flag was still there..." resounds in my mind when I see the flag of my country waving at the hands, not only of United States citizens, but also by the hands of those from other fine nations, who care about me and my country.
So, here I place the flag of the USA, not to exclude any other people, or nation, simply to say, "We are still here." I am truely grateful to those of you who celebrate with me and my country, at this devestating time, the perennial HOPE we all have of living in a PEACEFUL WORLD.
The problem arises because we all don't agree how to go about creating a peaceful world.
I hope you enjoy your visit,
The beginning to my U.S.A. page may seem to be more politically directed than travel oriented, but I assure you that it is not.
The news you read, the people you hear and the impressions you get from snippets of information can not possibly give a complete understanding of this country and it's people. Nor can any VT Member, including myself offer a simplified summary, but we all try.
My effort is, to suggest an open mind and go with the flow.
Whether you agree or disagree with our politician's decisions, know that they are voted in by the people of this country, not by the opinion of the people of other countries, and only one candidate can win.
Those people, American or not, who seem to dislike and sometimes even hate this country have every right, but I wonder why they would want to live here or visit at all, why they feel that common politeness is dispensed when it comes to raging about this county in the foulest terms. They are like cars going the wrong way on a one way street, either suicidal or not bright enough to understand the necessity of our structure.
Those who come here with an open mind and can go along with the flow will be greatly surprised in ways they didn't expect, and that is reason enough to visit.
While visiting, notice the similarities to your own country and the differences. If something is not readily understandable to you, feel free to ask why it is thus. In making an effort to understand, you may also make a friend. Each state, county, town and neighborhood might do things a bit differently so ask many times in many places and add another piece to the puzzle.
As I said, it will be impossible to give definitive tips that apply to every corner of this country so I will try to give the best general information I am able. Keep in mind it is from my perspective and sometimes based on comments made by students / friends from other countries.
Another thing to know about my effort is that I try to show everything in the most positive light. It is my belief that most people taking a vacation want a positive experience and though there are things I love or I personally don't care to see or do, it doesn't follow, in my mind, that you'd feel the same. So, here is my best effort to help you have a wonderful time in the U.S.A.
When planning to travel in the USA, it is a good to know the dates of special days that could offer something unique to be seen or that could effect the ease of finding decent lodgings. The following list is as complete as I can manage, but doesn't include religious holy days,--except Christmas--local Founder's Days or historical re-enactments.
(*) Means the date is not consistent.
(N-B) National Holiday when banks are closed and mail is not delivered.
(P) Party days for most everyone, but not really a holiday that gets us out of school or work.
1. (N-B) New Year's Day—Most people stay at home, usually there will be no traffic jams. Hotels will be fuller from Christmas and New Year's Eve. So, advanced reservations may be advisable.
17. Martin Luther King Jr. Day—No impact on the visitor.
12. Lincoln's Birthday—No impact on the visitor.
14. (P) Valentine's Day—Restaurants and to some extent, hotel are effected. Reservations advisable.
(*) (N-B) President's Day (Third Monday of February—this is a long weekend holiday, which means that local sites may be more crowded than usual during the weekend.
22. Washington's Birthday—No impact on the visitor.
17. (P) St. Patrick's Day—Almost all Irish Pub type establishments as well as many restaurants and bars have some sort of party and are more crowded than usual.
5. (P) (Cinco de Mayo—A Mexican holiday that is celebrated more frequently in cities along the US/Mexican border.) Bars and Restaurants—especially Mexican Cuisine—are busier than usual.
(*) Mother's Day (Second Sunday of May.)—Restaurants may busier than usual.
21. Armed Forces Day—No impact on Visitors
(*) (N-B) Memorial Day (Last Monday of May)—this is a long weekend holiday that marks the beginning of summer. Rates for hotels and other expenses related to traveling may go up. Local sites may be busier than usual during the whole weekend.
14. Flag Day—No impact on the visitor. More flags may be visible then usual.
(*) Father's Day(Third Sunday of June.)—Restaurants may be busier than usual.
4. (N-B) Independence Day—Parades may cause some streets to close. Many parks and beaches may be very crowded and parking around them will be difficult to find. After the fireworks, about 10:00 p.m., the streets around these places will be heavy.
(*) (N-B) Labor Day (The first Monday of September)—This is the unofficial end of summer and a long weekend. Many parks and beaches may be very crowded and parking around them will be difficult to find.
10. Columbus Day—No impact on visitors.
31. (P) Halloween (All Hallows Eve)—Little impact on visitors. Many people dress in costume, especially children. It is necessary to drive carefully especially in residential sections where children are trick-or-treating from house to house. Many schools and churches have some sort of activity to celebrate this holiday and in most cities there are "haunted" houses open to the public.
4. (N-B) Veteran's Day—Little impact on visitors. Some cities may have a parade which could cause some streets to be closed.
(*) (N-B) Thanksgiving Day (Fourth Thursday in November)—Large impact to travelers. The week before, during and after, flights are more crowded, hotels are fuller and there are great sales in the stores, the day after Thanksgiving.
25. (N-B) Christmas Day—Large impact to travelers. The week before, during and after, flights are more crowded, hotels are fuller and there are great sales in the stores, the day after Christmas.
31. (P) New Year's Eve—This holiday is within the Christmas week and added to that, even more hotels, restaurants and bars are hired for the night. Have reservations well in advance of this date.
There you have it.
- Pros:Big in Size, Big in Heart and Big in Variety!
- Cons:Too Big For The Visitor To See All Or To Really Understand..
- In a nutshell:Awesome!
You probably missed it in the rush of news, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a... more travel advice
The first time I saw the headlines in the paper, "9 11 01" I thought it clever. The terrorist attacts were the ultimate... more travel advice
lmkluque's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 1,197 Reviews
- 2,589 Photos
- 1,612 Forum posts
- 51 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
Photos in United States of AmericaSee All Photos (2589)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 167 reviews, 526 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 55 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 167 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 62 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- National City Intro, 45 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 111 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (147)
Top United States of America hotels
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15666 Reviews - 31356 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3100 Reviews - 5884 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8425 Reviews - 17320 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2037 Reviews - 4028 Photos
- Miami Beach Hotels
- 1034 Reviews - 2092 Photos
- Kissimmee Hotels
- 181 Reviews - 351 Photos
- New Orleans Hotels
- 4182 Reviews - 7230 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1993 Reviews - 4750 Photos
- Gatlinburg Hotels
- 388 Reviews - 651 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4393 Reviews - 8846 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9113 Reviews - 19382 Photos
- Miami Hotels
- 1275 Reviews - 2953 Photos
- Chicago Hotels
- 5885 Reviews - 12006 Photos